mac mini - what do you think? I'm making alot of movies for upload on youtube. Good platform to use?

I

iMore Question

I'm making alot of movies for upload on youtube. Good platform to use?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The Mac mini is a great stand alone computer. Have you also looked into some type of NAS like a Synology? That is what I am using to host all of my media and it works magnificently!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
If you're doing light editing and little to no rendering, any modern mini should be fine. I'd consider nothing less than a 2010 (C2D CPU). If you find one with only 8GB RAM you can later upgrade to 16GB.

If time is a consideration and/or you're doing a lot of rendering, then I'd consider a 2012 mini with it's superior GPU, and maybe try to find one with an i7 (quad-core processor). I use this and rendering is much faster than the C2D mini. Using iSTAT menus I can see all cores firing when I render with VLC. Handbrake is also multi-core aware.

Memory for either of those minis is older now and a little pricey.

The 2014 mini doesn't have replaceable memory so you're stuck with whatever you get. I don't think there's a quad-core version available, but if you're not rendering, it's moot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73