So this app, says everything is saved locally, Is there anything that can prove that the pictures/(Or anything) i store in the archives on this app, aren't also being saved to the developer's hidden cloud. How do i know it's safe? How do i know that it's literally only saved locally.

[redacted]
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 02-25-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    02-25-2017 06:28 PM
    The best thing you can do is go to the developer's website and look at information there. Also, do some GoogleFu. You will be able to find out a lot more about the product and the developer that way.

Word of advice: Don't get an app and put sensitive pictures/info in it without thoroughly vetting the developer and the service.
    ​You're asking for trouble that way.
    Rob Phillips and Just_Me_D like this.
    02-25-2017 07:34 PM
    What is vetting a developer though?

I asked him if the data is stored locally or not, he said it is only stored locally, would apple allow an app to exist in the app store that uploads my files to a cloud?
    02-26-2017 05:15 AM
    What is vetting a developer though?

I asked him if the data is stored locally or not, he said it is only stored locally, would apple allow an app to exist in the app store that uploads my files to a cloud?
    As I said, go to his website and do some googling about the product.

Apple generally only allows an app to do what it says it will do. They have high standards when it comes to vetting apps with App Review. Sometimes one gets through.

Do you trust the developer of this app enough to take him/her at their word?

Do some research on the app. That's really all you can do at this point if you're concerned then remove it from your iPhone.
    02-26-2017 12:12 PM
    So this app, says everything is saved locally, Is there anything that can prove that the pictures/(Or anything) i store in the archives on this app, aren't also being saved to the developer's hidden cloud. How do i know it's safe? How do i know that it's literally only saved locally.

[redacted]
    As a matter of interest what app are you referring to?

As with all apps it's down to you to satisfy yourself that they are safe. If there is something you want to keep private, don't use an app, don't send it anywhere, don't upload it anywhere and keep a passcode on!
    02-26-2017 03:09 PM
    In the 5 years I've had an iPhone, I haven't heard of one instance of a developer misbehaving in that way. They want their apps to succeed. They put a lot of work into creating them. Stick with reputable developers. There's plenty of them.
    02-27-2017 12:01 PM
    I must admit to having some interest in this subject,because I dislike the idea of apps collecting my data and selling it on, even in an anonymised form. After all it must be more than possible for an individual or company to collate data and extrapolate a detailed picture of a person's digital life. Before I install an app I read about its reputation for integrity and security and don't install if the consensus is mixed.
    03-04-2017 06:31 AM