Why does Apple make their products overpriced?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why does Apple make there products over priced?

Welcome to iMore! That's a matter of opinion. Millions of users and I would probably agree that you get what they pay for. Hence, the iPhone is the best selling smartphone in the world.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why does Apple make there products over priced?

Apple, like any other for-profit entity is in business to provide products and service at a profit. Even at your typical garage sale, the seller is trying to sell stuff at a profit. Every seller wants to bring in more than what was spent to create the product he or she is selling.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Welcome to iMore!

If they were over-priced, nobody would buy them (or at least not as many). They're priced right for what you get :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I agree with everything that was said. It's not just Apple products that's overpriced. It's my opinion that everything is overpriced. Profit is one thing, but extreme profit is another. The world has gone plum mad with profit gain...1, 2, 300% profit makes me cringe, but that's the world we live in today.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I will say I believe the new MacBook line to be over priced. But aside from that, you get what you pay for with Apple. Premium products come at a premium price.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Being at the height of Technology you need to invest a lot of money and the end product is going to be costly. That said the price of the iPhone is not out of reach to the average citizen

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

....and all this time I thought price wars between companies was supposed to benefit the consumer not the other way around. It seems to me like the prices are going up instead of down. I guess as long as the customers keep paying these ridiculous prices, they will continue to go up. Maybe as consumers we need to be a little smarter as a whole.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.
I enjoy the quality and the experience that I get from my Apple products.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

They are overpriced for what you get. It costs Apple $357.50 to make an entry-level iPhone X, then they sell it for $999. Why? Because there's enough people willing to pay that much for it. So, it's worth what people are willing to pay, regardless of the quality.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Why does Apple make there products over priced?

The price of consumer products like the iPhone will probably never come down as long as they have the consumer who is willing to shell out the money for their products.

For myself, it’s all about being value added, I have been using iMacs and Apple products since 2008 and I won’t use anything else.

The support and warranty they provide is second to none and the quality of their products speak for themselves.

I have never bought extended Apple Care on any of the iMacs I have bought and have never had any major issues with the desktops and laptops I have purchased since 2008.

So, for myself, I say they are worth every penny I have spent on them, just my two cents worth.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Why are Apple products over-priced?

When I used Android I use to ask the same question. Until I bit the bit the bullet and purchased an iPhone, now I clearly see why their devices are priced the way they are. The difference between Android an iPhone is night and day. I'l never ever go back to Android.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

We need to realize that the Apple prices are for more than just the product purchased. If you purchase hardware, you get free operating system updates for several years. If you live near an Apple store, you get opportunities to take lots of short courses for no cost. If you run into problems, you can consult the geniuses for no additional cost. Apple also supports some charitable causes such as Product Red. Furthermore, Apple tends to spend much more time and expense evaluating its supply chain and the products they produce.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! The simple answer is because they can and people pay it. The complex answer is as others have said, Apple makes a premium product that looks, acts, and feels premium.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.
I enjoy the quality and the experience that I get from my Apple products.

So does “you get what you pay for” mean we’re not very smart? There is a reason there is an ever-growing disparity between the wealthy and the rest of the population. CEO’s making thousands of times more than their employees? Athletes making millions of dollars to play a game? One thing is true, until people step up and refuse to pay these prices they will continue to price their products (not just Apple) at higher and higher levels.

FYI: I no longer attend pro sports events. I support small college and amateur sports. I do not purchase smartphones at full price. I wait until someone else paid full price and then purchase the phone from them for a fractional the cost. This is what I chose to do.

Thank you for listening.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I respect your point. Let me ask you though, does that mean you’ll pay any price?

Nope. Didn't get the X due to price. Holding onto the 7+ a while longer, at least until the next iPhone that works on Tmobile's 600 mhz band.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods