WhatsApp restore in new iPhone from backup by old Android in Google Drive

robertcslim

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi
I uninstalled WhatsApp in my old Android phone when I moved to a new iPhone as I thought that upon installation in iPhone, WhatsApp would allow me to restore from Google Drive. (Instead I only have a restoration from iCloud option). I am using the same number for the new phone.

I can reinstalled WhatsApp on the iPhone if you guys can provide some help.

Alternatively I would have to get a new SIM card with the same number that fits into the Android, reinstall WhatsApp and then restore. After that I have several options including using MoveToIOS on the Android. All tedious.

regards

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm clueless. While I DID briefly use Whatsapp back in the day on my BlackBerry. These days I'm primarily a BBM, Kik, Facebook Messenger, and iMessenger/FaceTime user these days. Not a big fan of Whatsapp. HOWEVER I am aware that many are. My best suggestion would be to consult their info/FAQ page....

https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/

Hopefully some others will come along also who may have more experience with the program. :)

robertcslim

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi JediMaster

Thanks but I have already gone through that and understood what can be done.

Case is a bit unique so hoping someone out there could help as after all I could access my Google Drive files on either Android or IoS.

So what not WhatsApp backup?

cheers

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi JediMaster

Thanks but I have already gone through that and understood what can be done.

Case is a bit unique so hoping someone out there could help as after all I could access my Google Drive files on either Android or IoS.

So what not WhatsApp backup?

cheers

I will put out a call and draw to bring help. :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know WhatsApp itself doesn't support backups from android to iOS or vice versa. It's best to assume you will have to use third party apps, if there even are any.

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the official word from Whatsapp, as stated above, is that the back up option is NOT supported between OSs (so going from Android to iOS or viceversa is not officially supported). Like suggested before, you'd have to resort to 3rd party options to do so.

You can also try, but not sure if it'll work, to copy the Whatsapp backup file created in your Google Drive to your iCloud account and see if the app will see/recognize that as a valid back up file.

SleepyTheDon

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Its great to see you sticking with Whats App but unfortunately i dont believe the backup is cross platform and after double checking on the Whats App site iOS backups are from iCloud or Phone. Although its not the answer you wanted i hope this helps

robertcslim

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Guys

Thank you.

This is what happened so far.

Silly me uninstalled WA in my Android. So I have to go back to the telco to get a micro-sim card, got them to disabled the sim in my 7P, load the new sim into the droid and restore. No issue. All messages now in the droid which means I now have a 5.5incl tablet ;-)

I have to disable both the wifi and the data in the droid though as I have now reactivated the 7P with the IoS flavour of WA.

Just an update of what I will be doing next - time permitting.
- Try to change the phone number while keep the WA messages. Doable as I read the FAQ
- I could also try emailing the WA messages so that I "download" to the 7P

More important I need to figure out what's the best free Twitter client. Tested so many, none came close to Tweetcaster on Android. Yes, I am cheap - would not pay for the IoS version.

Have a good one

phillipe_nova

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was getting some good deals on iPhone 7 Plus, so I couldn't wait for the iPhone 8. :D I switched from the Galaxy S7 and I easily transferred almost all the content to my iPhone with "Move to iOS" app. But as mentioned by others, there is no way to restore WhatsApp chats from Google Drive to iPhone. Only Android users are allowed to do that. I still managed to transfer my WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone with some Backuptrans app. Here is the tutorial http://www.iphone-to-pc.com/restore-whatsapp-chat-messages-from-google-drive-to-iphone.html

It supposed to work with all the iPhones running iOS 5 or later. It was a paid app but it worked for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner