Does Siri only work with wi-fi and mobile data?

I

iMore Question

I think I know the answer to this but just wanted to get confirmation; presumably my iPhone either needs to be connected to the internet via wi-fi and mobile data for Siri to work, correct?

I've just bought a new VW car and am planning on using Siri for my voice activates calls/text messages, instead of buying VW's Discover Navigation Media System (£850) which I would need to buy if I want to use Voice Activation in my VW car.

Question is this: will Siri use a lot of data on my dataplan? I don't make many calls at all but I may not always remember to turn mobile data *off* after I've used Siri to dial a number for me.

Does anyone else use Siri for this purpose (instead of their car manufacturer's voice control/activation system) and has it proved cost effective in the long-term?

Many thanks!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Siri will only work when your device is connected to the internet. I use it all of the time for a variety of functions and it doesn't use up that much data.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've got the 2015 VW Golf with the Discovery Nav (no CarPlay) and use Hey Siri all the time with great success. There is a slight pause as Siri waits for my car Bluetooth to silence the music and be ready but with CarPlay (which I assume you have) you'll be laughing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR