My iphone 5 won't detect the charger.

I

iMore Question

Is it possible that apple sent an update to my phone to deactivate the charging port like Samsung was going to do?On Saturday, I tried to charge my phone and the charger wouldn't work. I took it to ATT and they tried as well. they said the only thing I could do is get a new phone. I decided to get the iphone 7 but they said I couldn't upload all my info from the cloud because the ios was different. they made me buy an ipad, upload my info from the cloud to the ipad, then update the ios on the ipad and then load the iphone 7 from the ipad. this seems like a scheme. has anyone else had this happen?

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Definitely sounds like they got you. Did you check the charging port for lint or other obstructions? I'm sure if you went to the Genius Bar they would help you restore a backup from your 5 to your new phone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Backups are not backwards compatible, they are, however, always compatible with older iOS to newer iOS versions.

For example: you can't put the back up of an iOS 10 device to an iOS 9 device, yet, you can put a backup from an iOS 9 device to an iOS 10 device.

I wouldn't so much call it a scheme as I would call it pure incompetence of the AT&T worker.