My iPhone Won't turn on/restore...

I

iMore Question

Hi,
I feel I have a very weird problem caused by my jailbreak I had on my iPhone...
The other morning, I go to look at my phone and it is off so I try to turn it back on, the Apple logo shows up then after a few seconds the phone turns off again... Not launching into iOS or anything.
I put it into recovery mode as it wouldn't do anything else and try restoring it on iTunes... I downloaded all the update but then iTunes gets stuck and nothing happens for a while then eventually, it comes up with error code (9)... The restore/update fails. Any ideas on what I could do? It is still in warranty and as it either needs to be restored or updated, I could take it back and they restore it or something because it isnt getting past the apple logo..

Cheers for any suggestions,

Doug

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try the following.

1. Download the latest .ipsw file for your specific device.
2. Put your device in DFU mode and then direct iTunes to install the .ipsw file.

Make sure you have the latest iTunes version.

Dougieman1001

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Try the following.

1. Download the latest .ipsw file for your specific device.
2. Put your device in DFU mode and then direct iTunes to install the .ipsw file.

Make sure you have the latest iTunes version.

Yep, I have already, iTunes just comes up with error code (9) after a few mins of waiting, the apple logo and bar comes up on the iPhone just nothing happens...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I have already, iTunes just comes up with error code (9) after a few mins of waiting, the apple logo and bar comes up on the iPhone just nothing happens...

Hmmm, is the cable or USB port defective? Is your computer's firmware up to date? Have you tried rebooting EVERYTHING - computer, modem, and the router? I'm grasping at straws, by the way......but I am trying to helpful. Anyway, if you haven't already, double-check to make sure you've done the official troubleshooting tips found via the following link.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201444

Lastly, contact https://support.apple.com/contact

Dougieman1001

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Hmmm, is the cable or USB port defective? Is your computer's firmware up to date? Have you tried rebooting EVERYTHING - computer, modem, and the router? I'm grasping at straws, by the way......but I am trying to helpful. Anyway, if you haven't already, double-check to make sure you've done the official troubleshooting tips found via the following link.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201444

Lastly, contact https://support.apple.com/contact

Pretty much everything is up to date, I'm just about to go borrow a friends lightning cable to see if that is the problem. I've tried to go to that page but everytime I try it comes up with 403 access denied.. I can't access any type of apple support page what soever... Thanks though

Dougieman1001

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Are you SURE you are getting it in to DFU mode? Time is tricky and sometimes you have to try a couple times to get it, do NOT give up after 1 or 2 times! lol

How to put your iPhone or iPad into DFU mode | iMore

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5269891?tstart=0

Yep, I just put it into DFU mode (Thanks I didnt realise that could have been the problem, it was just automatically going into recovery mode) and the same is happening... It's just stuck on iPhone restore, I'm also using an apple lightning cable.. Aaannnddd I just got the error code typing this... ); Any ideas on how I can talk to apple?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well you kind of want to dance around the jailbreak issue. HOWEVER they are probably going to figure it out. One thing you might TRY (and hopefully you get a nice Apple tech) is to tell them it's your teenager's phone and you are not quite sure what they did. When I used to fix my bosses tech he was ALWAYS blaming his kids (teen's at the time, but they are married with kids of their own now, well one is anyways, can't talk about the other), BUT I knew 9 out of 10 times it was really him who broke it. HOWEVER I still fixed him up. ;) Of course he WAS my boss. lol

Dougieman1001

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Well you kind of want to dance around the jailbreak issue. HOWEVER they are probably going to figure it out. One thing you might TRY (and hopefully you get a nice Apple tech) is to tell them it's your teenager's phone and you are not quite sure what they did. When I used to fix my bosses tech he was ALWAYS blaming his kids (teen's at the time, but they are married with kids of their own now, well one is anyways, can't talk about the other), BUT I knew 9 out of 10 times it was really him who broke it. HOWEVER I still fixed him up. ;) Of course he WAS my boss. lol

Yeah, could do. I mean the problem is, there is no real way of telling that it's jailbroken... It is literally stuck turned off... If you try to turn it on it gets to the apple logo and stops... The only way I know of would to actually be to update or restore it, removing the jailbreak so I guess I would be kinda safe.. I'll go to the Apple store on wednesday and see what happens... lol

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, could do. I mean the problem is, there is no real way of telling that it's jailbroken... It is literally stuck turned off... If you try to turn it on it gets to the apple logo and stops... The only way I know of would to actually be to update or restore it, removing the jailbreak so I guess I would be kinda safe.. I'll go to the Apple store on wednesday and see what happens... lol

You'd be surprised what they can tell! lol BUT yes get it a shot! It certainly can't get MORE broken.

Dougieman1001

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
You'd be surprised what they can tell! lol BUT yes get it a shot! It certainly can't get MORE broken.

Well, Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been pretty busy but I did go to the Apple store and let them see what they could do.
Initially, they tried updating it then putting it in DFU mode and restoring it but surprisingly, nothing happened. They left it in DFU mode trying to restore for about 15 mins and then the guy came over touched it and literally jumped at how hot it was (which was in my favour as it showed something was up. lol) and unplugged it. After some time of waiting for a genius, he took it and tried to do some tests, concluding that nothing showed up so went out back again and got a new phone out...

I'd won at them not knowing it was jailbroken.. lol xD

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well, Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been pretty busy but I did go to the Apple store and let them see what they could do.
Initially, they tried updating it then putting it in DFU mode and restoring it but surprisingly, nothing happened. They left it in DFU mode trying to restore for about 15 mins and then the guy came over touched it and literally jumped at how hot it was (which was in my favour as it showed something was up. lol) and unplugged it. After some time of waiting for a genius, he took it and tried to do some tests, concluding that nothing showed up so went out back again and got a new phone out...

I'd won at them not knowing it was jailbroken.. lol xD

Apple is renown for superior customer service! You just saw an example of that! You will probably remember this and most likely continue to buy Apple. (They know this ;) )

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal