Chat history missing from WhatsApp after update

I

iMore Question

Hi, hoping someone might be able to help me. I've just done the update to WhatsApp on my iPhone. I got a notification saying that to receive messages I need to launch the app. When I go into it all I get is a screen saying "WhatsApp seems to be having trouble reading your chat history and will try to recover it"

When I begin recovery it gets to about 80% and then I get a message saying "Sorry something went wrong while trying to recover your chat history. Please try again"

This happens every time, and I can't see any other options. When I look at the storage on my phone it says WhatsApp is using 810.3MB. The app some is only 88.3MB so I assume this means the chat history must still be on the phone. I only backup my phone to iTunes on my Mac, not iCloud.

Any help greatly appreciated!

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Had more or less the same issue last week - I suspected WhatsApp was causing excess & constant battery drain so I uninstalled it, rebooted the phone, then reinstalled. I needed to re-enter phone number etc before it started displaying older chats. But it 'left out' +/- the most recent month. It's been OK since and as there was really nothing important to me lost, so I've just left sleeping dogs lie. It did remedy the battery use issue though. I was seeing WhatsApp as hogging 35% Battery history over the last 24hrs when I doubted I'd used it more than 15 min ( a short 'voice only' call + a few 2 line chats)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner