Does the TV Remote activate Alexa?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
We now have an Amazon Echo. Today, while I using my generation 2 Apple TV today, Alexa would start playing music when I used the Apple TV remote? Hit pause on the Apple TV remote, the music on Alexa pauses. When I tell Alexa to stop, the music keeps playing. I have searched online and can't find anything on this topic. I use my Apple TV a lot and really don't want Alexa turning on every time I use the remote.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Apple TV Remote activates Alexa?

As far as I know Echo doesn't have IR so shouldn't interfere. Have you tried moving the echo slightly?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Moderators, please delete this thread to remove the evidence that I am a complete and total *****. The music wasn't coming from Alexa but from my MacBook that was on the same table as the Echo. Even though I'm 60 years old, I take a lot of pride that I am tech savy, but I made a fool of myself this time.

Thanks dpscott for taking time respond.

Remington Steel

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Moderators, please delete this thread to remove the evidence that I am a complete and total *****. The music wasn't coming from Alexa but from my MacBook that was on the same table as the Echo. Even though I'm 60 years old, I take a lot of pride that I am tech savy, but I made a fool of myself this time.

Thanks dpscott for taking time respond.

Sounds like something that would happen to me....lol

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
We've all been there. Once took me half an hour to realise the reason my iPad wasn't charging is because it wasn't plugged in....

How are you finding the Echo?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
We've all been there. Once took me half an hour to realise the reason my iPad wasn't charging is because it wasn't plugged in....

Every time I talk to "Alexa" I feel like I'm cheating on Siri.

Seriously, it is ok but I haven't done a lot with it yet. I did sign up for the free Amazon music trial and have enjoyed that. Will keep you posted as I get more used to it.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Here's an update. An Amazon music subscription is a necessity if you plan on streaming a lot of music. The sound quality is not bad and I have been using it more and more for listening to music.

I cannot comment on how well it works with smart home devices because I see no need to change from using HomeKit/Siri. It has been convenient and dependable to use my phones to turn the lights on and adjust the thermostat.

The biggest disappointment is audio broadcasts of NFL, NHL, and NBA games are not available. I consume a lot of sports through radio broadcasts and that is not possible on the Echo. MLB is listed as one of the available skills and I'm interested to see how that works when the season begins. Someone on another forum suggested purchasing a Tune-In Radio premium subscription to listen to NFL, NHL, and NBA games. This is not an option because there is no way to log into a Tune-In account with Amazon.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Here's an update. An Amazon music subscription is a necessity if you plan on streaming a lot of music. The sound quality is not bad and I have been using it more and more for listening to music.

I cannot comment on how well it works with smart home devices because I see no need to change from using HomeKit/Siri. It has been convenient and dependable to use my phones to turn the lights on and adjust the thermostat.

The biggest disappointment is audio broadcasts of NFL, NHL, and NBA games are not available. I consume a lot of sports through radio broadcasts and that is not possible on the Echo. MLB is listed as one of the available skills and I'm interested to see how that works when the season begins. Someone on another forum suggested purchasing a Tune-In Radio premium subscription to listen to NFL, NHL, and NBA games. This is not an option because there is no way to log into a Tune-In account with Amazon.

Alexa can work with Spotify also, and probably Google Play Music and Apple Music. I currently use Spotify with it. :) It also works with the Amazon Prime Music service which gives you less choices than Amazon Music, BUT has at least something from most artists. IF you want to go Amazon Music you can get a full subscription either 7.99 (Prime members) or 9.99 (non Prime) a month, or 79.99 a year. THAT lets you listen on any device, OR to just listen on one Echo is 3.99 a month. :)