I know this would be a bad idea from nay-sayers because a phone is probably vital.. but i don't use a mobile for any calls at all... all of mine go over Voip app (Zoper), and while i am well aware of the unreliability issues over cell data-connection, i have never had a hiccup. or need to fall back to cellular calls because VoIP didn't work.

Is this a good idea to just just a tablet only for all my data usage ?

The reason is I'm really wanting to give up my iPhone in replacement for an iPad + cellular model

Why have a phone if all your time is 100% internet including calling ?

Is there a real need for a mobile phone if we all use Skype, Facetime etc ? or am I missing something..

The only thin i guess would be emergency would be the *only* thing.. and perhaps receiving confirmation codes TXT used for 2 step verification. but since i have strong passwords anyway, i'll be pretty safe without it...

That just leaves emergency calling,,,,.

Anyone been in the same boat?
    12-25-2016 03:09 AM
    Biggest question I have is would the size of the tablet vs the size of a phone be an issue?
    12-25-2016 05:48 AM
    My first iPad was an iPad 2, and it was a Wi-Fi only model. It was sufficient for my needs, but there were times when I wished I had gotten the Cellular + Wi-Fi model. I then purchased the iPad Mini (Wi-Fi Only) and ended up giving it to my youngest son. Again, I wish I had gotten the Cellular + Wi-Fi model. I now have a 9.7" iPad Pro (Cellular + Wi-Fi model) and I am more than pleased, and although I'm on Wi-Fi with it the majority of the time, just having the freedom to use it on a cellular network when Wi-Fi isn't available is worth the extra money to "me". Besides, you can purchase cellular data for it on an as needed basis. It's a win-win in my opinion.
    Terb likes this.
    12-25-2016 08:29 AM
    I don't really use my tablet anymore, in fact I recently gave it to my daughter. That being said, she does use it at times when we go out to restaurants or various places and a lot of these places have wifi. I initially wondered if we should get her a tablet with a plan because she would use it when we're out sometimes, but I've found that I really haven't had an issue given the number of places that have wifi. That being said, keep in mind too that it's not a personal iPad anymore, so it doesn't contain anything that would make me think twice about putting it on a public network.
    12-25-2016 12:15 PM
    Biggest question I have is would the size of the tablet vs the size of a phone be an issue?
    Good point.

While u can't fit a tablet in ya pocket as easily u can a phone, the screen size is the highlight.... Maybe if i went for 5.5-inch iPhone it could satisfy my needs.. But i'm pushing for tablet size as pure data. in 9.7-inch.. particularly for my use case... games, reading etc..

I know Apple has two devices, but the problem, is i don't want two separate devices, but i DO want the same screen size as well.

Actually the size would be less of an issue if u factor i can use Personal Handsfree.
    Last edited by Tech198; 12-25-2016 at 10:49 PM.
    robertk328 likes this.
    12-25-2016 10:06 PM