How can I ensure Flash is fully deleted from Mac OS Sierra

Jayzen

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Descided to change my angle on this: Using Dr. Cleaner (killer App) I intended to leave Flash on my Mac Pro. To my horror I noticed to late that sub dir boxes but NOT the main removal checkbox where checked. Leaving me with ( as my last post deffered to) a shell GUI that leads nowhere but a still current ver of Flash operable. It is not removable via App nor will it upgrade when that time is upon me. I have the Nov 1 update on TM but no newer BU. SO terminal time me thinks...but how ?Could I restore Flash from my last TM BU which does have the current Flash Player for both Safari & Chrome... HELP!
TIA,
J

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Time Machine can restore your Mac to the way it was at the time of the TM BU so yes, to your question.

Jayzen

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Time Machine can restore your Mac to the way it was at the time of the TM BU so yes, to your question.

Thank you for the reply. I am new to Time Machine so I am wondering if I am to pull the working Flash installer off of my External HD or command+R the entire drive back to Nov 1? If so what would happen to Apps such as Garage Band or Chrome ( both having had updates since then? Do they update of their own volition or ...well that's where I lose my focus with TM. It clearly does both but does it do this to the complete reinstall of Flash or an entire reformat? Bought into Mac as I was sick of decades of half baked solutions on the Microsoft s for the platform. Apologies for the length of this reply.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I am new to Time Machine so I am wondering if I am to pull the working Flash installer off of my External HD or command+R the entire drive back to Nov 1? If so what would happen to Apps such as Garage Band or Chrome ( both having had updates since then? Do they update of their own volition or ...well that's where I lose my focus with TM. It clearly does both but does it do this to the complete reinstall of Flash or an entire reformat? Bought into Mac as I was sick of decades of half baked solutions on the Microsoft s for the platform. Apologies for the length of this reply.

Whatever was installed on the device at the time of the TM BU will be restored as it was at the time of the backup. If there are any available updates, you should be alerted via App Store notification, if set. Simply update like you normally would.

Jayzen

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Whatever was installed on the device at the time of the TM BU will be restored as it was at the time of the backup. If there are any available updates, you should be alerted via App Store notification, if set. Simply update like you normally would.
I promise this is the last Q...Am I looking looking at installing from a "local Snapshot" to restore from or the reboot into command R menu for a full system restoration? This has always puzzled me about TM as, although it does both, clearly it is more focused to just restore the missing file, App etc than to wipe the entire drive. Main thing that attracted me to TM's methodology.
I hope I am conveying the conflict in approach as I ( albeit incorrectly ) thought restoring a single program would be a more straight forward approach?. Is it the duration of Time that has passed that decides the approach or the type of App/program I am restoring? I have read much on TM but never really been able to parse this rather massive differance in approach i.e.. "Local Snap Shots" or "full system restore's? I will continue reading about this & hopefully not be so intrusive of your time. If there is a simple way or "rule of thumb" you can provide that would be great!
Thank you for your time & patience. Anything worth using & the amount of trust I am putting on TM is worth knowing as much as is relatively possible.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I promise this is the last Q...Am I looking looking at installing from a "local Snapshot" to restore from or the reboot into command R menu for a full system restoration? This has always puzzled me about TM as, although it does both, clearly it is more focused to just restore the missing file, App etc than to wipe the entire drive. Main thing that attracted me to TM's methodology.
I hope I am conveying the conflict in approach as I ( albeit incorrectly ) thought restoring a single program would be a more straight forward approach?. Is it the duration of Time that has passed that decides the approach or the type of App/program I am restoring? I have read much on TM but never really been able to parse this rather massive differance in approach i.e.. "Local Snap Shots" or "full system restore's? I will continue reading about this & hopefully not be so intrusive of your time. If there is a simple way or "rule of thumb" you can provide that would be great!
Thank you for your time & patience. Anything worth using & the amount of trust I am putting on TM is worth knowing as much as is relatively possible.

If you merely want to restore your flash capabilities, restore from a snapshot from within the Time machine interface. I rarely use my old MacBook anymore and thus it's been a while since I've backed up and restored via Time Machine. With that in mind, the second portion of the information via the following link should be helpful to you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2