I want to do a backup via iCloud to my new phone but don't want all the pictures/videos to transfer

I

iMore Question

I have an iPhone 6 and have a new iPhone 7. When setting the new handset up and doing an iCloud backup I don't want all my pictures/videos to transfer over as I have so many it's restricting my memory on my iPhone 6. Please help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As of now, iCloud backups takes an all or nothing approach. In other words, you cannot pick and choose what you want backed up. It's the same for restoring from a backup, and being that photos and videos on the device are included in an iCloud backup, they will also be included in the restore. Sorry.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 and have a new iPhone 7. When setting the new handset up and doing an iCloud backup I don't want all my pictures/videos to transfer over as I have so many it's restricting my memory on my iPhone 6. Please help.

When I have my phone automatically backed up to iCloud nightly, I do not have it back up my photos/videos. You can go into iCloud settings and turn off the backup for this which will automatically delete it from the cloud. Then when you set up your 7, do a restore from iCloud using your handset.