Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tartarus
  • 1 Post By nikkisharif
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default does the battery in iphone become damaged and drained if you store it without being charged?

I have an iPhone 5 that I didn't use, but kept as a backup in case of an emergency or if one if my other phones became damaged. Now that I'd like to start using it, I have some concerns about whether I skewed the battery at all by lack of use and what can be done about it outside of changing the battery.
    I honestly don't recall if there was any charge or not on the phone when it was stored in its box under room temperature conditions. I received the phone from my carrier.
    I've heard conflicting information from the battery will drain to the current lithium batteries in iPhones have a "reserve" so there shouldn't be any damage to the battery.

Default Re: does the battery in iphone become damaged and drained if you store it without being charged?

It shouldn't matter. Is the device not working or something?

Default Re: does the battery in iphone become damaged and drained if you store it without being charged?

Actually, it matters. You should store any device with ~50% charge if you're not gonna use it for a long period.
    https://www.apple.com/batteries/maxi...e/#generaltips
    nikkisharif likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    Actually, it matters. You should store any device with ~50% charge if you're not gonna use it for a long period.
    https://www.apple.com/batteries/maxi...e/#generaltips
    That's good to know!! I haven't had any issues with an old device working but I never really paid attention to the battery life either. Thanks for the tip
    Tartarus likes this.