Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Will an iphone make calls without a data plan

We have Verizon and I had the data shut off on my sons iPhone. They told me that with the data off, he can't use the phone just for talking. They told me the iPhone needs the data on to even use the phone just for talking.

Default Re: Will an iphone make calls without a data plan

They are correct. Having said that, if you have Skype, possibly Google Voice, or another VoIP app, you should be able to make phone calls over Wi-Fi with the iPhone.
    iMore Expert

I've never hear about iPhone needing internet data flowing before you can make a GSM call. I can turn off cellular data on my iPhone as well as wifi and still be able to make and receive phone calls.
    Now Internet data does allow applications such as FaceTime audio video, Skype and other Voice over IP application to make VoIP call which is different from plain and simple GSM call. Maybe a Verizon specific setting for GSM call which require Internet data to be on, but certainly not a global worldwide setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel Babalao View Post
    I've never hear about iPhone needing internet data flowing before you can make a GSM call. I can turn off cellular data on my iPhone as well as wifi and still be able to make and receive phone calls.
    Now Internet data does allow applications such as FaceTime audio video, Skype and other Voice over IP application to make VoIP call which is different from plain and simple GSM call. Maybe a Verizon specific setting for GSM call which require Internet data to be on, but certainly not a global worldwide setting.
    I'm under the assumption that because the OP has a "smartphone", VZW, like the other major carriers, will not allow for voice-only service.
    Ariel Babalao likes this.