Will an iphone make calls without a data plan

I

iMore Question

We have Verizon and I had the data shut off on my sons iPhone. They told me that with the data off, he can't use the phone just for talking. They told me the iPhone needs the data on to even use the phone just for talking.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They are correct. Having said that, if you have Skype, possibly Google Voice, or another VoIP app, you should be able to make phone calls over Wi-Fi with the iPhone.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I've never hear about iPhone needing internet data flowing before you can make a GSM call. I can turn off cellular data on my iPhone as well as wifi and still be able to make and receive phone calls.
Now Internet data does allow applications such as FaceTime audio video, Skype and other Voice over IP application to make VoIP call which is different from plain and simple GSM call. Maybe a Verizon specific setting for GSM call which require Internet data to be on, but certainly not a global worldwide setting.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never hear about iPhone needing internet data flowing before you can make a GSM call. I can turn off cellular data on my iPhone as well as wifi and still be able to make and receive phone calls.
Now Internet data does allow applications such as FaceTime audio video, Skype and other Voice over IP application to make VoIP call which is different from plain and simple GSM call. Maybe a Verizon specific setting for GSM call which require Internet data to be on, but certainly not a global worldwide setting.

I'm under the assumption that because the OP has a "smartphone", VZW, like the other major carriers, will not allow for voice-only service.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77