Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Very New to Mac... Have some questions.

Hi,

We purchased our very first Mac this weekend, and have some questions. (we are coming from a Windows computer)

1. When we click on photos in the Library a "Preview" application comes up and shows us the picture. That is fine and all, but we can never advance to the next picture, always have to view them one at a time. Is there a way to keep advancing to the next picture?

2. I know there probably is no real answer for this one, but why when you hit the red x why does the application not close? What is the difference between hitting the red x or yellow x?

3. The DEL key. This one has messed up a couple of test documents we have typed out. In windows when you hit the del key it deletes the letters after where cursor is, on Mac it deletes before the cursor. How do we delete the characters we wish to after the cursor? Is the only way to move the cursor with the mouse?

4. Do you recommend we purchase Word for Mac (We do write a lot, and sometimes need to send it to someone on a Windows computer... If we use Pages (which is nice btw) can a windows person see the file?

Thanks for the help.
    As an additional thank you... I am sure most know this, but in case anyone doesn't we figured out how to get Siri to work with just our voice. We went into accessibility and dictation and enabled it to "Hey" and to open Siri. Then went to advanced settings and made a custom setting named it Siri, and told it to open any application, and it works.

iMore Intermediate

Default Re: Very New to Mac... Have some questions.

To open an image in a new window after you have done the above just right click on the image in the side bar and choose "Open in a new window". Select all of the photos by pressing " Command + A" and then right click "open with preview" it will open all of your selected photos and you can scroll through them!
    When Clicking red button it shuts it down but just to background, but uses no power in that state.
    I use the back key on my MacBook Air, this deletes letter after curser.
    I use Pages and though the Mac has some different fonts the documents seem to open, though I have not tried to open with MS Office on my PC, I have Libre.
    iMore Intermediate

To open an image in a new window after you have done the above just right click on the image in the side bar and choose "Open in a new window". Select all of the photos by pressing " Command + A" and then right click "open with preview" it will open all of your selected photos and you can scroll through them!
    When Clicking red button it shuts it down but just to background, but uses no power in that state.
    I use the back key on my MacBook Air, this deletes letter after curser.
    I use Pages and though the Mac has some different fonts the documents seem to open, though I have not tried to open with MS Office on my PC, I have Libre.

Quote Originally Posted by iMore Question View Post
    Hi,

We purchased our very first Mac this weekend, and have some questions. (we are coming from a Windows computer)

1. When we click on photos in the Library a "Preview" application comes up and shows us the picture. That is fine and all, but we can never advance to the next picture, always have to view them one at a time. Is there a way to keep advancing to the next picture?

2. I know there probably is no real answer for this one, but why when you hit the red x why does the application not close? What is the difference between hitting the red x or yellow x?

3. The DEL key. This one has messed up a couple of test documents we have typed out. In windows when you hit the del key it deletes the letters after where cursor is, on Mac it deletes before the cursor. How do we delete the characters we wish to after the cursor? Is the only way to move the cursor with the mouse?

4. Do you recommend we purchase Word for Mac (We do write a lot, and sometimes need to send it to someone on a Windows computer... If we use Pages (which is nice btw) can a windows person see the file?

Thanks for the help.
    As an additional thank you... I am sure most know this, but in case anyone doesn't we figured out how to get Siri to work with just our voice. We went into accessibility and dictation and enabled it to "Hey" and to open Siri. Then went to advanced settings and made a custom setting named it Siri, and told it to open any application, and it works.

Welcome to iMore!

1. There are two ways you can do this. Preview will do it as well as Quick Look. I will explain both. With Preview you will need to open all the images you want to view at once. Not one image at a time. So I would consider putting all the images in a temporary folder on your desktop if they are in different places. Once all images you want to view are in one place you can go into the folder and hit Command + A and that will pick all the images within your folder. Or you can hold the Command or Shift key to pick just the ones you would like to view. Next right click on one of the images you picked for viewing and a menu will come up giving you a choice of programs that will open your images. Choose Preview. All the images will open in one window. Then on the top left corner of the viewing pane there is a button which will give you viewing options. Just click on thumbnails. This will give you thumbnails for viewing or you can just swipe with your trackpad or mouse on the main images and scroll through them up and down.

Quick Look works by highlighting all the images you want to view and then hit the space bar on your keyboard. Quick Look will give you a viewing pane of the images you had highlighted. Then you can swipe left or right on your trackpad or use the back & forward buttons on the top left corner for moving between images. Here is a guide by Apple on how to use Quick Look.

Very New to Mac... Have some questions.-screen-shot-2016-10-10-3.45.05-am.png

2. As for this question, it is how the operating system works on the Mac. The yelo dot is for minimizing the screen and the red dot is for closing the screen of the program you are using. The easiest way to completely close a program is to just hit Command + Q.

3. These options will work fully on a Mac wired keyboard with the numeric keypad, but not all the option are available on a MacBook keyboard. The full Apple keyboard, does have both buttons and makes it easier with two buttons.

• Backwards delete 1 character at a time: Delete
    • Delete 1 word backwards: Option+Delete
    • Frontwards Delete 1 character at a time: Fn + Delete
    • Frontwards delete 1 word at a time: Function + Option + Delete
    • Command+Delete: deletes a line
    • Command Key acts like the control key on a PC
    • (Command + C = copy, Command + X = cut, Command + V = paste, Command + A = select, Command + B = Bold, etc….)
    • Another way to move your cursor is with the directional arrows on your keyboard.

4. I do recommend getting Words for Mac. As nice as Pages is and it works sometimes at converting your Pages doc to a Word doc, formatting can get lost in the conversion. You can convert to a Word document by simply going to File>Export To>Word. But in the long run I suggest getting Words. Especially since you do a lot of writing.

I hope this info helps you. If you have any further questions please feel free to become a member and ask away.