Why doesn't my contacts appear in my iCloud account contacts list after a backup?

I

iMore Question

I have just run a backup to iCloud. When I login to my iCloud account and click on the Contacts app it is empty.
Also, when I click on Settings/Advanced/Restore Contacts, there in no Contacts backup here either.
I have checked on my iPhone, Settings/iCloud/, that the "Contacts" is on.
Can someone tell me where the backup files are saved and how can I view them?
Also how do I upload the contacts on my iPhone to my iCloud contacts?
Appreciate your help

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.com! I'm going to ask some questions, you may want to join the site so you can respond! It's easy, here's how...
http://forums.imore.com/ask-question/293812-guide-how-sign-up-imore.html

Ok do you have contacts set to sync in your settings? From the homscreen on your device go to Settings, then scroll down and go to iCloud, may sure Contacts to switched on (green). Ok I went to iCloud on my computer and did not see my contacts EITHER, HOWEVER I have changed iPhones and iPads several times and always had my contacts transfer from icloud so they MUST be there. I think we just need to trust the process!

Brian Jaram

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Yep, restore backup works ... I do get a list of all previous backups that I can choose from ... even though the backup files do not appear in my iCloud account. I guess you're right, we have to trust the process. I would still like to know where they are though.
I contacted Apple Support and the assistant told me to check Settings/Advanced/Restore Contacts and was surprised that the backup file wasn't there ... hmmm. Thank you for your reply.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep, restore backup works ... I do get a list of all previous backups that I can choose from ... even though the backup files do not appear in my iCloud account. I guess you're right, we have to trust the process. I would still like to know where they are though.
I contacted Apple Support and the assistant told me to check Settings/Advanced/Restore Contacts and was surprised that the backup file wasn't there ... hmmm. Thank you for your reply.

It sounds like the Apple rep thought your contacts were missing in your contacts on your phone. I've had an iPhone for almost 5 years. I've never viewed contacts in iCloud. Didn't know one could do that. I've seen Google contacts. Regardless, anytime I restore, set up a new phone, or update, my contacts are always there. I was missing my Gmail contacts once. I had to go to mail> Gmail > Toggle on contacts.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

What is odd to me is the fact that if you indeed have iCloud configured on your device(s) with Contacts set to sync then those contacts should be readily visible when you login to the iCloud website via a web browser. A backup, although great to have, shouldn't have even been necessary.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh