I'm thinking of getting a IP7 to replace my damaged Nexus 6 and I would like to know if I were to purchase the T-Mobile version of the phone if it would be fully unlocked to work with any GSM carrier? Also would I be able to use it with non USA carriers? Any help would be appreciated.
    09-19-2016 10:30 AM
  2. eyecrispy said: Best Answer

Yes, it would be GSM unlocked. If you want to be fully covered globally, you're better off getting the Verizon/Sprint model.
    Yes, it would be GSM unlocked. If you want to be fully covered globally, you're better off getting the Verizon/Sprint model.
    09-19-2016 10:42 AM
    Thanks for the help. If I were to get the Verizon version would I have to activate it on their network first before it becomes unlocked? I ask because I live outside of the USA.
    09-19-2016 12:16 PM
    Thanks for the help. If I were to get the Verizon version would I have to activate it on their network first before it becomes unlocked? I ask because I live outside of the USA.
    Good question. I am not sure. I will know in a few hours, though. I am going to go return my ATT 7 for the Verizon model. Will let you know how things go.
    09-19-2016 12:28 PM
    Cool. Tyvm
    09-19-2016 12:35 PM
    Cool. Tyvm
    Hey there. As long as you don't reserve a phone online using an existing account, you should be able to get a verizon or sprint model and activate it without the original carrier sim. The guy at the Apple Store told me that directly. I was able to put my ATT sim into my new Verizon iphone 7 and activate it just fine. I can also verify that wifi calling works on the verizon model with my ATT sim.

Are you in the states right now? If so, make a reservation to pick up a device at the store and pay in full. It should work for you.
    09-19-2016 05:08 PM
    Hey there. As long as you don't reserve a phone online using an existing account, you should be able to get a verizon or sprint model and activate it without the original carrier sim. The guy at the Apple Store told me that directly. I was able to put my ATT sim into my new Verizon iphone 7 and activate it just fine. I can also verify that wifi calling works on the verizon model with my ATT sim.

Are you in the states right now? If so, make a reservation to pick up a device at the store and pay in full. It should work for you.
    Thanks for all the help. I was planning to order it from Apple's website and get it shipped to a family member.
    09-19-2016 05:31 PM
    Good question. I am not sure. I will know in a few hours, though. I am going to go return my ATT 7 for the Verizon model. Will let you know how things go.
    What made you switch devices?
    09-19-2016 05:34 PM
    Thanks for all the help. I was planning to order it from Apple's website and get it shipped to a family member.
    If you order online right now, it will require you to enter a valid carrier account. So unless you have one, it won't let you do it. You'd have to go to a store and get one. You'd want to wait until they officially sell the factory unlocked version. Or if you want it now, get the t-mobile version.

What made you switch devices?
    I wanted better resale value and the Verizon/Sprint will be worth more bc it supports more bands across both GSM and CDMA networks. The ATT/T-mobile model only supports GSM.
    09-19-2016 05:42 PM
    If you order online right now, it will require you to enter a valid carrier account. So unless you have one, it won't let you do it. You'd have to go to a store and get one. You'd want to wait until they officially sell the factory unlocked version. Or if you want it now, get the t-mobile version.
    Ah. I can't thank you enough for all your help.
    09-19-2016 05:49 PM
    Ah. I can't thank you enough for all your help.
    Happy to do it. Others have helped me plenty. Glad to do it! Good luck. I hope you're able to find one for your friend that works.
    09-19-2016 05:52 PM
    Not if you're buying it outright. Just buy it, tell them you'll activate it when you get home, and then when you leave the Verizon Store, put in your T-mobile SIM and set up your new iPhone.
    MasterDarque likes this.
    09-19-2016 05:59 PM