Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 1 Post By aidmyaim
  • 2 Post By Wotchered
  • 1 Post By Jonathan Romcy
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Default Why do i keep getting fingerprint can not be read ?

I bought the iPhone 6 shortly after it came out. I used to use my thumb print to open phone.
    My hands get wet a lot in work. I repair a lot of irrigation and valves. I wipe my hand on my shirt to dry them off but my phone was not reading my finger print right away.
    I would have to try 5-10 times until I could get it to work.
    Then I turned to the pass code and started using that but I didn't care for it too much so I did away with it.
    Yesterday I tried to set the finger print option back up and I kept getting message like finger print can not be read try another finger. (Or some message like that.)
    I tried different fingers and got same message.
    When I originally got phone I got an Otterbox protector with a plastic screen cover.
    I have noticed that the plastic part that covers the Home Button has a little bubble on it.
    Another words its not flush against the button'
    Do you think maybe a new screen protector would solve my problem?
    If not I am open to suggestions.
    I'd like to update to IOS 10 and start using the finger print sensor again.
    Sorry this is so long but I wanted everyone to know all the details I could think of.
    Thank you very much!
  2. Best Answer

Did you set the sensor for several fingers ? Did you set the sensor with damp fingers ? I'm sure your fingerprints will alter slightly if they've been soaked for a while, after all they do go white and wrinkly as the skin absorbs water. I think the passcode might be your best answer for you.

Default Re: Why do i keep getting fingerprint can not be read ?

Did you wash and dry your hands as well as wipe the TouchID button clean before trying to set up your print on the device?
    pkcable and melmurphy like this.
    iMore Intermediate

I think any moisture on your hands will probably distort your fingerprint. I always have problems if my hands are wet or "dirty". The worst was when I got a paper cut on my thumb lol no joke wouldnt read it at all.
    melmurphy likes this.
    iMore Pro

Did you set the sensor for several fingers ? Did you set the sensor with damp fingers ? I'm sure your fingerprints will alter slightly if they've been soaked for a while, after all they do go white and wrinkly as the skin absorbs water. I think the passcode might be your best answer for you.
    pkcable and melmurphy like this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have washed and dried my hands at home and have tried different fingers also to no avail. I think as suggested that I will just stick with the pass code. I will try the fingerprint option when I get a new screen protector and see if that makes any difference.
    iMore Intermediate

Try another a different screen protector. Sadly I have sweaty hand too and sometimes it doesn't work for me too but I always clean my finger before using my phone or when I'm in a rush and have no patience I just go for the passcode.
    I think the problem here is the screen protector. Try a different one.
    melmurphy likes this.