Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default How to retrieve saved passwords from my iPhone backup from iTunes

Hello guys,

I have a backup of my iPhone through iTunes, hoping I can retrieve my forgotten passwords for certain applications on the phone. Is there an application that does so?

I tried iPhone Backup Extractor, which gives me .plist files once I search for Keyacess files without revealing my passwords through the massive amounts of gibberish codes.

Thank you for your help,
    - Hanzo
    iMore Beginner

Default Re: How to retrieve saved passwords from my iPhone backup from iTunes

Hello,
    I'm afraid it's not simple or even possible to perform such an extraction. Passwords stored on your phone are heavily secured and, if I remember correctly, they are stored in the device only (and not copied with the backup, unless the latter is password protected and encrypted). There is one way of accessing some passwords saved (Wi-Fi and Safari passwords mainly), but it involves both having a Mac (with Keychain on it) and iCloud Keychain enabled on both iPhone and Mac.
    Hopefully, someone else may confirm that your passwords are "locked", and please note that, not being a fan of Jailbreak, I ignore the possible existence of tweaks that may help you.
    Hoping to have resolved some of your doubts, have a good day,
    Francesco