Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 2 Post By michelfo
  • 1 Post By fotiskour
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default I want to buy a used IPad 2. How much ram is good? Mb?

What's the least amount of Mb should it have?
  2. Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by michelfo View Post
    Are we speaking about RAM or flash storage here? The RAM in the iPad is actually always the same: 512 MB DDR2 (1066 MHz), although that's not an advertised spec and nobody should really cares about this (except app developers).

The iPad 2 has either 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB of flash memory. I have an iPad*2 with 32 GB and that's enough for me. If you aren't going to put gigantic files, videos, or a lot of music on it, you'll probably be fine with 32 GB too. Take note that iOS itself is taking about 5,5 GB of that storage, and apps take storage too (especially games). Unless you use your iPad very lightly, like you're just browsing the web and using a few apps, the 16 GB model will probably feel a bit cramped.
    True, but I believe the "Baby Pro" has 2GB RAM and the "Biggy Pro" has 4GB. I'm not sure what the current Air model has.

Default Re: I want to buy a used IPad 2. How much ram is good? Mb?

The iPad 2 came with either 16, 32 or 64 GBs of RAM. you cannot add RAM to it so depending on whom you're buying it from, you may be limited to what is being sold. If all three models are available, get the most RAM that you can afford. If it's the 16 GB model, adjust your storage habits accordingly.
    DarlaMack likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Are we speaking about RAM or flash storage here? The RAM in the iPad is actually always the same: 512 MB DDR2 (1066 MHz), although that's not an advertised spec and nobody should really cares about this (except app developers).

The iPad 2 has either 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB of flash memory. I have an iPad*2 with 32 GB and that's enough for me. If you aren't going to put gigantic files, videos, or a lot of music on it, you'll probably be fine with 32 GB too. Take note that iOS itself is taking about 5,5 GB of that storage, and apps take storage too (especially games). Unless you use your iPad very lightly, like you're just browsing the web and using a few apps, the 16 GB model will probably feel a bit cramped.
    Just_Me_D and Rob Phillips like this.

Quote Originally Posted by michelfo View Post

True, but I believe the "Baby Pro" has 2GB RAM and the "Biggy Pro" has 4GB. I'm not sure what the current Air model has.
    iMore Nanite

The air 1 has 1 gb ram and the air 2 has 2 gb ram.
    Rob Phillips likes this.