Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By phreddyl
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default Outgoing email does not work

What to do if iPhone received emails but cannot send them? The address is "@btinternet", the settings are correct (checked with Apple Help on the phone).

Default Re: Outgoing email does not work

i would check with your email provider to see what settings they recommend
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

A friend has identical settings and the same iPhone 6s, and can both send and receive @btinternet emails, but I can't, I can only receive them, not send.

Delete the account and re add it
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    5,984 Global Posts

I have the same problem. And I tried removing and setting up again but it didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by inn17 View Post
    What to do if iPhone received emails but cannot send them? The address is "@btinternet", the settings are correct (checked with Apple Help on the phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by pttptppt View Post
    I have the same problem. And I tried removing and setting up again but it didn't work
    Check the following:

1. Check your network's security settings to make sure it is not blocking that particular address.
    2. Check with your ISP or email provider. Maybe they are blocking the address for security reasons.
    3. Maybe your address has been blocked by the recipient(s).
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

I deleted and reinstated this email account twice, under the guidance by an Apple expert (via Apple phone help). All the settings are correct, and I can send and receive emails on my laptop. With my iPhone 6s, I can only receive them but not send.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,092 Global Posts

Have you tried entering the server settings manually?

It sounds like the wrong SMTP is being set.

I deleted and reinstated this email account twice, under the guidance by an Apple expert (via Apple phone help). All the settings are correct, and I can send and receive emails on my laptop. With my iPhone 6s, I can only receive them but not send.
    To clarify, are you saying that you can only receive email from people with an @btinternet address or are you saying that you can only receive email and YOUR email account is an @btinternet account? Either way, if you're absolutely certain that your email account is set up correctly on your iPhone, then reset the Network settings on the device or restore it and set it up as new.
    iMore Elite

the address is fine. But you must put the receipts name before the @ sign.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Newbie

All emails, BT or not, arrive, but none can be sent anywhere from my own ...(my name)...@btinternet.com address from my iPhone. I can send emails from my laptop but not from my iPhone. The Apple expert said my settings are correct, and we deleted and reinstated the account twice under his guidance, but it did not help. Can there be something wrong with my iPhone?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,092 Global Posts

Again, have you manually checked the SMTP settings? That is what controls outgoing email.

All emails, BT or not, arrive, but none can be sent anywhere from my own ...(my name)...@btinternet.com address from my iPhone. I can send emails from my laptop but not from my iPhone. The Apple expert said my settings are correct, and we deleted and reinstated the account twice under his guidance, but it did not help. Can there be something wrong with my iPhone?
    Do the following:

Go to Settings → General → Reset, and then select "Reset Network Settings".

Also, is this inability to "send" email occurring while on Wi-Fi, cellular data or both?

If resetting the network settings doesn't fix the problem, restore your device and set it up as new.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Newbie

Another friend figured it out. He switched the iPhone email settings from IMAP to POP3, and the iPhone now sends emails. One iPhone 6s (mine) works with IMAP, and the other iPhone 6s (of my friend) does not work with IMAP but works with POP3 (both with respect to sending emails from a "btinternet" email address). Would any expert reading this know the reason for this inconsistency?

Another friend figured it out. He switched the iPhone email settings from IMAP to POP3, and the iPhone now sends emails. One iPhone 6s (mine) works with IMAP, and the other iPhone 6s (of my friend) does not work with IMAP but works with POP3 (both with respect to sending emails from a "btinternet" email address). Would any expert reading this know the reason for this inconsistency?
    The problem probably resides in the email account's online settings. Have your friend login to his email account via a web browser and then check for an enable iMAP setting or something similar.