How do I save pictures on my phone to my icloud storage?

I

iMore Question

My phone storage is almost full but I have a lot of room on my icloud storage plan? Just don't know how to get it saved in that area?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's better to use another service like Dropbox, Google Drive or other cloud service.

Because with iCloud, if it's saved on your phone it's saved on iCloud, but deleting pictures from your iPhone will delete those pictures from iCloud as well.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My phone storage is almost full but I have a lot of room on my icloud storage plan? Just don't know how to get it saved in that area?

Welcome to iMore!!

Do you by any chance use a PC or Mac? And do you do backups on your iPhone? Also, what iOS version are you using?

We need a few more deetz so that we can give you the best solution. Depending on what you have and what you use, your photos can be exported to a computer and safely removed from your phone, without them being deleted or lost forever from iCloud.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iCloud is not a storage solution. It's a back up option. It backs up what is currently on your device. So if you delete the photos from the camera roll, they are also deleted from iCloud.
I use Box and Dropbox for storage. If a computer, Store them there.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Since you have plenty of iCloud have you enabled iCloud Photo Library with the optimize storage option?

How much space has your camera roll used on your phone? How much iCloud do you have?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
iCloud is not a storage solution. It's a back up option. It backs up what is currently on your device. So if you delete the photos from the camera roll, they are also deleted from iCloud.
I use Box and Dropbox for storage. If a computer, Store them there.

Apple considers it a storage solution according to their iCloud Photo Library page.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2793033%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=1SpgZqKj

Just enable "optimize storage" and it will take care of the rest.

Fill your library, not your device.
Now you can spend more time shooting pictures and less time managing them. iCloud Photo Library helps you make the most of the space available on your Apple devices by automatically storing the original high-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and leaving behind the lightweight versions that are perfectly sized for each device ? taking up only as much space as needed. You get 5GB of iCloud storage free, and other storage plans start at $0.99 per month.

We used to use Dropbox for backup/storage but have been much happier using the built in features on our devices vs a 3rd party. But depending on your phone storage capacity, amount of photos, etc only you can decide which works best. :)

Any one option won't be the right choice for everybody.

IMG_1472074139.417551.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple considers it a storage solution according to their iCloud Photo Library page.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2793319%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=6FoV9gsP

Just enable "optimize storage" and it will take care of the rest.

We used to use Dropbox for backup/storage but have been much happier using the built in features on our devices vs a 3rd party. But depending on your phone storage capacity, amount of photos, etc only you can decide which works best. :)

Any one option won't be the right choice for everybody.

View attachment 110634

But, still, if you delete the photos from the camera roll, they are also deleted from iCloud.
iCloud Photo Library does not work the same way as Dropbox.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
And that was the main reason for me to advise Dropbox.

If OP would enable iCloud Photo Library, upload all pictures and then delete it from his phone, because he thought they were safe on the cloud, that would have been disastrous.

whetrick1

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I agree with CyreneK . Iuse Google also because of the unlimited storage. I cloud will want you to buy more storage after the first free 5 gigs.

whetrick1

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I also am paying apple for the 50 gig plan just for extra insurance for my iPhone , ipad, and iPod backups. Just incase anything happens.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Dropbox, the way I use it, is unlimited. I usually move my files to my desktop and free up all my space.

I also use Amazon Photos. Since I am a prime member I get unlimited. So I keep my phone free and I can still see my photos with Amazon.

There are many solutions out there. While some may work for me they may not work for you. Have a look around the webs, app store, google it and find what works best for you.

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I guess OP is talking about iCloud Drive. Yes you can save your photos in iCloud Drive without even loosing your photos even if you delete them from device. It's just like Dropbox.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Google Photos gets my vote. Once you get past the original upload, choose optimize storage and then enable backup over Cellular (AFTER the initial upload is done)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711