Up until now my sons phone was a clone of mine. It was like I had 2 phones. Now he is old enough to have his own iCloud and I want to separate our backups. When I plug his phone into my computer it asks if I want to back it up as my phone or set up a new phone. My question is, if I set it up as a new phone, will all his data and photos be lost?
    08-20-2016 10:19 AM
    If I'm understanding what you typed, your son's data & pic should not be lost. Since his device has been a "clone" of yours, i assume you have at least an iTunes or an iCloud backup to fall back on just in case, right? Having said that, why don't you just logout of iCloud on his device, and then set up a new iCloud account on it, and then back it up afterwards?
    08-20-2016 10:28 AM
    Up until now my sons phone was a clone of mine. It was like I had 2 phones. Now he is old enough to have his own iCloud and I want to separate our backups. When I plug his phone into my computer it asks if I want to back it up as my phone or set up a new phone. My question is, if I set it up as a new phone, will all his data and photos be lost?
    Simple use encrypted backup using iTunes. When you have restore your phone from an encrypted backup. The phone will look the same as it before as far an applications and the information within those applications. Also if you had these applications in folders. The applications will be placed in those same folders along with the folders given names as well.

Example. I use a application called Keeper. This application has password information within it. When I restores iPads and iPhones from the encrypted backup. All the passwords within that application were still there.

But you will be asked for a password the first time you use encrypted backup. Be sure you write that password down. I forgot my encryption password. Luckily after 4 nights is guessing games I guessed the correct password. Without the password you. An not do much.
    08-21-2016 08:53 PM
    Simple use encrypted backup using iTunes. When you have restore your phone from an encrypted backup. The phone will look the same as it before as far an applications and the information within those applications. Also if you had these applications in folders. The applications will be placed in those same folders along with the folders given names as well.

Example. I use a application called Keeper. This application has password information within it. When I restores iPads and iPhones from the encrypted backup. All the passwords within that application were still there.

But you will be asked for a password the first time you use encrypted backup. Be sure you write that password down. I forgot my encryption password. Luckily after 4 nights is guessing games I guessed the correct password. Without the password you. An not do much.
    I've never encrypted anything in my life. Never been hacked. Never an issue.
    08-21-2016 08:57 PM
    Well if you want to save everything from your iPhone and not lose anything the encrypted backup is the only way. Otherwise you will not get all of your information back when restoring your phone from back the back up.
    08-21-2016 09:01 PM
    Well if you want to save everything from your iPhone and not lose anything the encrypted backup is the only way. Otherwise you will not get all of your information back when restoring your phone from back the back up.
    I back up to iCloud. Last time I restored with my back up, I didn't lose anything. But let's not derail the thread.
    08-21-2016 10:25 PM
    True, always works.
    08-21-2016 11:22 PM