Why cannot I send messages from my phone if the internet is temporarily not connnected?

I

iMore Question

Hi, I have recently switched from android to iPhone. And I have noticed that i just cannot send a message if the internet is connected, unlike it used to be in android phones. This feature used to be really helpful. Is their anything that i can do to get it back? i have noticed dozens of tiny issues with the iOS which makes me regret buying an iPhone.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I need to make sure I understand your question right. In the title, you want to know why you can't send messages from your iPhone if your internet is NOT connected, but in the body of your thread, you want to know why you can't send a message if the Internet IS connected. Can you clarify which it is? And what type of messages? I'm guessing a text? Email?

Messages in general require data connectivity (wifi or cellular). If you don't have that, the messages won't send.

If I'm misunderstanding you, let me know.

ash_paris

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
@eyecrispy: I know that sending any sort of message requires internet connectivity. What i mean to ask is, that in case of no connectivity to internet, if i am writing a message on whatsapp, i cannot hit 'send'. In android phones, I could easily send as many messages as want, which would remain saved in the phone, and would get automatically sent as soon as my phone gets connected to internet.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apparently Whatsapp has chosen not to include that feature in their iOS app.
I didn't even know this was possible on Android.

ash_paris

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
It exists in androids since always. And trust me, it is of great use. Even if there is no internet problem, one can send a reply by switching off the internet, and then later switch on the internet after closing the application. This way we can send replies without getting seen online by anyone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I just wanted to ask if there is anything i can do to fix it. Thanks once again.

If the feature is in the Android version, I would think they would put it in the iOS version as well if they could. Since it's not, my guess is it's restricted by Apple. But that's just a guess. You might ask WhatsApp why it's not there.
support@whatsapp.com

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I believe you can change your "visibility" in WhatsApp (on an iPhone) by going to Settings -> Account -> Privacy

*Personal Opinion*
I really do not care whether others see me "online" or not, considering anyone with a smartphone is almost always "online" whether or not it is indicated. I suppose it provides a bit of Plausible Deniability ("I ONLY NOW saw your message"), but I find that ethically wrong. Rather, I can choose to reply or not, just the same as answering a phone call.

ash_paris

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Lets say I am in underground metro, and i take my phone out of my pocket. I see some messages on whatsapp, to which I need to reply. But due to netwrk unavailability i am unable to send the messages and later by the time i come out of underground section, i forget to reply since the messages are no more flashed since they have been read. Also, sometimes there is internet availability in breaks, with interrupted signals, where that feature was of great use.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Lets say I am in underground metro, and i take my phone out of my pocket. I see some messages on whatsapp, to which I need to reply. But due to netwrk unavailability i am unable to send the messages and later by the time i come out of underground section, i forget to reply since the messages are no more flashed since they have been read. Also, sometimes there is internet availability in breaks, with interrupted signals, where that feature was of great use.

How often does that actually happen? For the few times it does, couldn't you just take a screenshot of the message, then attend to it later?

ash_paris

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I am from New Delhi and i travel in Underground metro a lot, and network sucks here. Trust me, a sudden change in this feature is a cause of frequent irritation. Half the times i am unable to send messages at wished time because of this.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I understand your frustration but only the developer knows the exact reason why this feature is not included with the iOS app.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am from New Delhi and i travel in Underground metro a lot, and network sucks here. Trust me, a sudden change in this feature is a cause of frequent irritation. Half the times i am unable to send messages at wished time because of this.

There are apps you can write a text message in advance to send at any time. But you must still hit "Send" at that time. Apple just doesn't allow it. You can send them feedback on it.
Feedback
https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73