Why do people prefer the iOS to Android?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

There could be numerous reasons why some people prefer iOS over Android and vice-versa. I'm just grateful that we have choices to choose from.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Welcome to iMore! I prefer iOS because it's easy to use, secure, dependable, and convenient. I'm sure Android is great, but iOS is what works for me.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
re:

I personally love all tech, and mobile OS's. In a perfect world I would have a flagship device from all mobile OS's, just to play with. iOS would still be my primary though. Everything about iOS and how it works fits how I use my phones. Android allows a huge amount of customization, however I have a hard time typing with accuracy, even after months of using SwiftKey.

P_Devil

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
re:

I think they are both solid operating systems that have positives and their flaws. I prefer Android's implementation of widgets and how the layout of each home screen can customized more than the simple app grid layout. But I don't like that live widgets bog the phone/tablet down so it isn't as smooth of an operation as iOS. I also absolutely hate that Android doesn't have advanced Bluetooth controls and information. For example, I have a pair of Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones (also a couple of other Bluetooth speakers and headphones). When they're turn on and paired with my iPhone or iPad, I can see a small battery indicator up in iOS's status bar. That's the battery level of the headphones. Furthermore, the volume buttons on the headphones and on my iOS device control the direct volume of the headphones. That means that I don't have to turn the volume all the way up in the Music or Video app and then adjust the headphones separately. It's a small feature but I like it. With Android, I don't have a battery status indicator and the volume's are independent. iOS seems to handle Bluetooth devices better too.

My main gripes regarding Android don't come from the OS itself but rather from the various OEMs that use Android on their devices. Google will release an update and put it on their Nexus devices that day, just like Apple. But it takes 6-18 months before said update will be featured on 3rd party phones if they even decide to add it. It took Samsung 8 months to update my Galaxy S5 to Android 5.0.1 and that update absolutely ruined the phone. It took them even longer to get the update to my Galaxy Note Edge and it ruined the phone even further by taking away the Edge display functionality.

With iOS, Apple provides the updates and that's it. No meddling from the carriers, no changes from different OEMs, nothing. It's a smooth OS and none of my iOS devices have ever been ruined by an iOS update.

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

it's up to the person. i personally prefer iOS because it works for me, i like the simplicity, how smooth it is, and the ecosystem across all devices, i don't need to be customizing all the time, but Android works better for some of my friends. so it truly falls on you as the user.

macuser82uk

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
re:

I have spoken to many people about this and I have difference responses from this for example a person I know prefers android because they can add micro sds and store things on them where with Apple it a lot more harder to do things like that other people have said to me they prefer apple because they find it I more easier to use then using android it depends what suite you everyone is different personally I hate android and would never use one of their phones but that me we all different

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
re:

It's solid and dependable. Do I wish it were more flexible? Yes, of course. But I gave Android multiple tries and found it to be flaky and not efficient with resources. The newer versions of the OS may not be, but each time I've tried, I've been disappointed.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

Why do some people prefer red vs blue?
Why do some people prefer chocolate vs vanilla?
Why do some people prefer the ocean vs the mountains?

There are no answers to these questions.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
re:

Why do some people prefer red vs blue?
Why do some people prefer chocolate vs vanilla?
Why do some people prefer the ocean vs the mountains?

There are no answers to these questions.

1- Blue
2- vanilla hands down
3- ocean unless there is a nearby lake. Then I'm ok with mountains

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
why do people prefer the ios to android?

I choose iOS because it's reliable, the Apple Store is very convenient & Apple has amazing customer service.

BTW...I'm in the US, not Nigeria so I can't speak for anyone there.

Omonja

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
re:

Because of a million reasons. And millions prefer Android. Millions use BlackBerry. Millions use Windows. It's a complex scenario. And it's good.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
The setup process is simpler over Android.

There are some who like Apple products because they see them as status symbols.

Nick Garza1

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
The OS, support, updates, the ecosystem of apps and accessories, and the devices themselves. Also, I use an iPad because android tablets have been pretty bad for years and haven't improved much.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The OS, support, updates, the ecosystem of apps and accessories, and the devices themselves. Also, I use an iPad because android tablets have been pretty bad for years and haven't improved much.

Tablet for sure I prefer the iPad, but for phone, for me it's a tie. Apple, easier to use and the "just works" factor, but Android, can be more fun at times and tickle my "geek" funnybone. It's more customizable, and many more choices of phone. Of course that can be good AND bad! lol I still miss BlackBerry! ;) Windows Phone meh! But BlackBerry, I miss, the old days, although I did enjoy my Passport, and my Priv more recently. :) May try a DTEK 50, but probably not.

EDIT: I want to add smart watch, there is just no comparison. I've owned a few and the Apple Watch is the best although I did like the round design of my Moto 360. And I have a soft spot for Pebble. But really the Apple Watch is THE best!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73