How to setup brand new Macbook for multiple users?

I

iMore Question

We bought a new 12" MacBook and my wife and I use a number of apps under the same account name and password (ie Pandora, Flow, TuneIn)

So far in the setup I just put my info in, but how would my wife be able to use the laptop too?

I know I can make another account, but would I have to download say Pandora twice for both accounts??? That would seem to be wasteful if that is the only way.

Thank you so much for any help, we are SUPER new to Macdom.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

If you already share accounts for Pandora, etc., then she would just use the laptop like normal. If you need to keep things separate, then yes, another account is the way to do it (and downloading the apps again to that account)

Things like webmail (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) don't count, but any downloaded app, unless you want to log out and back in again all the time, will need a separate account created.

JustMeWhoElse

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Applications do not get downloaded twice. Each account uses the applications in the main Applications folder.

Your wife would just open Pandora for example and login to her account. Same with Mail, Safari, Messages etc…

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Applications do not get downloaded twice. Each account uses the applications in the main Applications folder.

Your wife would just open Pandora for example and login to her account. Same with Mail, Safari, Messages etc?

I will have to check that when I get home. Could have sworn everything was on its own.

But you may be right. I think I was able to restrict access to certain apps on the other login(s)!

Thanks for clarifying

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I will have to check that when I get home. Could have sworn everything was on its own.

But you may be right. I think I was able to restrict access to certain apps on the other login(s)!

Thanks for clarifying

Let me know so I can mark "best answer" It SHOULD work the way JMWE describes, and knowing Apple it probably does, but I'd rather be certain. :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Let me know so I can mark "best answer" It SHOULD work the way JMWE describes, and knowing Apple it probably does, but I'd rather be certain. :)

Confirmed - apps show up for the other users, no need to re-download. Went ahead and marked "Best answer". :)