Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default iTunes not letting me restore iPhone 6+ from ipsw file?

The error message I get is "... could not be restored because the firmware is not compatible."

I have tried:

Reinstalling iTunes (yes, it's the newest version)
    Rebooting both my laptop and iPhone multiple times
    Putting my phone in DFU mode
    I get the file from ipsw (dot) me (iPhone7,1_9.3.3_13G34_Restore.ipsw)

iTunes DOES allow me to update my phone to the newest iOS, but I don't want that version - I want 9.3.3

I am out of ideas. Anyone have any? Thanks for any and all help.

Also: currently on iOS 9.0.2 (jailbroken)

According to google, Apple is still signing the old firmware (9.3.3 and 9.3.2). So this mustn't be an issue.

Default Re: iTunes not letting me restore iPhone 6+ from ipsw file?

Welcome to iMore!!!

Maybe your question could be addressed quicker in our Jailbreaking section.

Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

Good luck!

Default iTunes not letting me restore iPhone 6+ from ipsw file?

Quote Originally Posted by iMore Question View Post
    The error message I get is "... could not be restored because the firmware is not compatible."

I have tried:

iTunes DOES allow me to update my phone to the newest iOS, but I don't want that version - I want 9.3.3

According to google, Apple is still signing the old firmware (9.3.3 and 9.3.2). So this mustn't be an issue.
    Make sure you have downloaded the correct ipsw file for your specific device. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon for certain sites to mislabel their files. Anyway, is there a reason why you don't want iOS 9.3.4? If not, you can just put your device in recovery or DFU mode and then let iTunes download and install it for you.
    iMore Expert

Default Re: iTunes not letting me restore iPhone 6+ from ipsw file?

Quote Originally Posted by iMore Question View Post

I have tried:

You have done everything that I would do to remain on a jail breakable version of the iOS. At this point, the iOS 9.3.3 is possibly not signed anymore otherwise it should have been a seamless restore. That what the error suppose to explain actually (IPSW is no more signed by Apple server, thus firmware not compatible)
    This happened to me a month ago when iOS 9.3.x was not yet jailbreaked, and there was no new of soon jailbreaked release of the iOS 9.3 (I installed a corrupted tweak that messed up with the iOS, nothing else I could do other than factory restoring it to iOS 9.3.3
    What I did was selling it after factory restore and purchase a new one from a reseller store making sure that it's a new package iPhone the seller received early this year, that way only iOS 9.2 maximum will be in it, and that's what I got, jailbreak it again and voila.
    You can still try to make sure that you have download the right IPSW for your iPhone model, if it doesn't flash in still, see if you can factory restore to the newest, then sell it and possibly add up some money to purchase a new one with 3 to 6 months old in the store.
    Good luck.