Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Matching on Apple Music

When Apple Matches Music in apple music with the new match feature what exactly does it match is it the songs name and album or just the audio from the song itself. And just in general on iTunes match how does apple actually match the songs is its its metadata or the way the song sounds etc

Thanks

Default Matching on Apple Music

iTunes Match and matching in Apple Music are finally using the same algorithm to match music.

This is what I found on an iMore blog:

http://m.imore.com/icloud-music-library-ultimate-guide

Code:
    To save space and upload time, any track in your library that's also available in the iTunes Music Store catalog will "match" to the catalog version; this means that when you play that track on your iPhone or another Mac, you'll get the iTunes Music Store version (a DRM-free, 256kbps-quality AAC file, for those wondering), rather than your original file. Apple uses metadata matching and audio fingerprinting to match your songs to iTunes Store versions. It's not perfect, and you may run into issues with live or rare tracks matching to studio versions; for most users, however, you should be able to use the service without any problems.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: When Apple matches music in Apple Music with the new match feature what exactly does it match?

thanks for that its good to know its a metadata thing as well i wasnt sure thanks

Default When Apple matches music in Apple Music with the new match feature what exactly does it match?

I have around the 9k songs in my library. I have been correcting the metadata using Musicbrainz software. But that's not all. I have double checked all of my songs against iTunes Store which was painful to do because you need to be very patient and determined to finish the task, but I did.

MP3 songs I have ripped from my purchased cd's with bitrate lower than 320kpbs I am gonna triple check again to see what I missed. Hopefully they can be matched too so I can download high quality versions of them.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is you have to be patient, willing to search for each song in iTunes and to correct all metadata you possibly can.