Can I restore deleted messages

I

iMore Question

I have an iPhone 6 and I have set it up for auto backup daily. Whatsapp is taking up a lot of space and so I would like to delete all the conversations. Now the question is, if I delete the conversations on my phone, would they stil be in iCloud? Apologies if this question has been asked already.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
That's a good question. I use the Line App to communicate with friends from all over. There is an option in Line to back up conversations to iCloud and they can be recovered if I get a new device or reinstall Line for whatever reason. Check the settings in Whatsapp and see if that is offered. Other than that I don't know.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They should remain in iCloud until you back up again. iCloud backs up what is currently on your device. The next back up overides the last. But I'm not sure about WhatsApp data.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
They should remain in iCloud until you back up again. iCloud backs up what is currently on your device. The next back up overides the last. But I'm not sure about WhatsApp data.

So it backs up the data as well? Or just the apps? I'm still grasping the iOS back up thing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So it backs up the data as well? Or just the apps? I'm still grasping the iOS back up thing.

What iCloud backs up

iCloud automatically backs up the information on your devices?iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch?over Wi-Fi every day when they are turned on, locked, and connected to a power source. When your iOS device information is backed up in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device or restore information on one you already have.

Here?s what iCloud backs up:

Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books

Your iCloud backup includes information about the content you purchased, but not the purchased content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Some types of content aren?t downloaded automatically in all countries, and previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store. For more information, see the Apple Support article Availability of iTunes redownloads. Some types of content aren?t available in all countries. For more information, see the Apple Support article What can I buy from the iTunes Store in my country?.

Photos and videos on your iOS devices

However, if you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your iOS device (iOS 8.1 or later) or Mac (OS X v10.10.3 or later), your photos and videos are already stored in iCloud, so they aren?t included in your iCloud backup.

Device settings

App data

Home screen and app organization

iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)

Ringtones

Visual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)

Health data

HomeKit configuration

Apple Watch content is backed up automatically to your paired iPhone. For more information, see the Apple Support article Back up your Apple Watch.

Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn?t include data already stored in iCloud. That includes contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and documents you store in iCloud Drive. If your iOS device isn?t set up for iCloud Drive, but is set up for iCloud Documents & Data, your documents stored in iCloud are backed up.

Source: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
(Not specifically answering your question, but showing you how you may be able to save more space in iCloud.)

Also noteworthy; you can disable specific app data so that they're not included in the auto backup.

Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > Under "Backups" tap on the device you want to manage. Give it a few seconds to load all the data on your screen and then tap Show All Apps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods