Regarding music storage.

I

iMore Question

When iphone, ipad, and laptop synch, does that mean all three devices have the same music stored on each device. In other words, do all three devices require the same amount of storage?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily but it's possible not all of your music will fit on all of your devices IF one of them is limited in storage and your collection is VERY large.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Short answer is 'no', but I think there are probably many different ways to answer your question. Using my situation as an example, I have an iTunes Match subscription with all of my library in the iTunes cloud. I have physical copies on my Windows pc and iPhone, but not on my MacBook Pro or iPad. However, I still have access to stream my library on Mac and iPad. I would guess that it's the same situation for an Apple Music subscription. Or music that you have purchased from iTunes.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
All the devices will have all the same music that you buy if you specify it in the settings. You an go to Settings, iTunes and app stores and select or deselect Music under automatic downloads. This only applies to iPhone and iPad there is no setting on the Mac like this. The setting also only applies to music you buy from the iTunes store. If you rip music or get it somewhere else it wont automatically sync to all the devices. I'm stating the obvious but some people may not know. On the laptop if you want to get the new songs you will need to head to the iTunes store in iTunes and download them there.