Will the CD that I uploaded be matched to the one in Apple Music's catalog?

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
i imported a cd to apple music and icloud music library however i noticed the same cd album is in the apple music catalogue will it match the cd with the apple music version as when i uploaded the cd the status of the album from the cd says apple music

Is this normal just curious

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
CD matched on apple music

Yes, that is normal behavior. If the tracks are available in Apple Music they will match them and give you access on all of your devices.

Last edited:

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: CD matched on apple music

Even though I imported the cd? Also the purchased songs I own on my Mac are showing as purchased songs as the status rather than Apple Music as the ones on the Mac are not matched but iCloud music library scans your library and puts the matched version on your devices is that right

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
They only stream music to your devices in two states: As uploaded and as Apple Music.
No matter the cd is bought, ripped, borrowed or copied to iTunes, it doesn't take that in regard.

All music that's not in Apple's Music Database will be uploaded. All music that is in their library will be matched and will be streamed from their database. Only uploaded songs will be played from the database that is allocated to your uploaded music.

If you happen to have to 2 versions of the same song by the same artist and you want both to appear on your devices it's best to at least edit the title of one of the songs so Apple will not be able to match it with their own version in their database.

Please bear in mind that Music on your Mac or computer with the actual files saved on will not be affected in any kind in iTunes by Music and iCloud Music Library. Those songs are yours and will be yours forever, till you decide otherwise.

If you happen to have more than one Mac or Computer, songs on the initial computer where you initiated the library by adding music to iTunes will stay safe.
All other Macs and computers as well as all iDevices with iCloud Music Library enabled will show Apple's version or the uploaded version.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Ok cool. So am I correct in saying if I upload a cd to Apple Music it will match it if it's in the store catalogue and if not it uploads it. I uploaded a cd today and I checked the store and the same album. Was there on the store so I'm guessing this was matched. Also the iCloud status for this album appeared as Apple Music is this normal. Also what happens to your original songs if your Mac breaks down and you no longer have access do you essentially lose your original music

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Also all my purchased songs are showing as purchased not Apple Music or uploaded only songs I make available for offline listening are labelled as Apple Music but I never get any songs saying matched only purchased or Apple Music or uploaded

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently not available to answer your questions with my sincerest attention. So I will answer them when I'm at home in 12 hours from work, promising to give you a detailed answer to your satisfaction.

I must admit Music, iCloud Music Library and likes are not that easy to understand, because I took a long time to understand it myself.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
As promised, here is my reply to your questions. I have tried to answer them as fully and correct as I'm familiar with Apple Music.
Ok cool. So am I correct in saying if I upload a cd to Apple Music it will match it if it's in the store catalogue and if not it uploads it.
That's correct
I uploaded a cd today and I checked the store and the same album. Was there on the store so I'm guessing this was matched.
No, not the store. There is a difference with Music and iTunes Store.
Not all songs that are available for purchasing in iTunes Store are available in Music. This is because some labels and artists are still in talks with Apple about licensing for streaming. And some labels and artists simply refuse to make their music available for streaming altogether.
Also the iCloud status for this album appeared as Apple Music is this normal.
Yes, this is the way it is supposed to be.
Also what happens to your original songs if your Mac breaks down and you no longer have access do you essentially lose your original music
First of all, I highly recommend you to make backups of all important data. This includes also music.
But we're all humans and data is fragile and can be lost, even backups.

In case this happens to you, which I wish for nobody, obviously, iCloud Music Library has you covered.
All songs are stored in their servers and you can download them back to your computer or Mac whenever you like.
But here is the thing, Apple may provide you with a backup, but because it is a profit based service from Apple, they put DRM on songs you download back to your computer. Only music marked as 'uploaded' in iTunes is an exception, because those are your own songs which Apple does not have in their database.
If you don't want DRM on songs, they offer iTunes Match. All your music is available for download without DRM. An other amazing service from Apple's side with iTunes Music is you could upload music with the worst bitrate or even ripped from cassette and they will replace it with their own high quality 256 Kbps m4p version. Amazing, isn't it?
You can read more about iTunes here
Music is essentially the streaming service based on iTunes Match with DRM added to it.

Also all my purchased songs are showing as purchased not Apple Music or uploaded only songs I make available for offline listening are labelled as Apple Music but I never get any songs saying matched only purchased or Apple Music or uploaded

Matched is no term used in iTunes. They use the term Apple Music for matched songs.

Last edited:

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much for that reply. I use iCloud music library so will all the purchased songs I bought be available as the original songs I purchased will these stay that way on a new Mac. Also all of the songs I own show an iCloud status saying purchased is this normal

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
imore.png

see how i mean i have purchased uploaded and apple music the apple music ones are songs i downlaioded for offline play the purchased ones are my own is this all normal behaviour thanks

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much for that reply. I use iCloud music library so will all the purchased songs I bought be available as the original songs I purchased will these stay that way on a new Mac. Also all of the songs I own show an iCloud status saying purchased is this normal

Here is link about how to move your iTunes Library from one computer to another or one Mac to another Mac:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204318

Yes it is normal that it says purchased if you have purchased those songs from iTunes.

I highly recommend you to never willingly delete songs from your computer or Mac unless you're absolutely sure you don't want it anymore.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Cool thanks and is it normal that Apple Music songs appear as Apple Music in iCloud status since they are from Apple Music eg. Downloaded for offline play

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Cool thanks so much for the help. Also final question clicking the merge or replace option does what. I'm having a weird issue. The purchased playlist on my phone is showing all my purchased tracks but on my purchased playlist on iOS devices is showing a different amount. Why is this thanks

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If all your purchased songs are already in iTunes on your computer, you can choose Replace. If the songs on your iPhone are not in iTunes yet, you have to choose for Merge.
That way the songs on your iPhone will appear in iTunes.

I have no right and definitive answer for your second question. I hope somebody else can answer that for you.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I chose the replace option as I thought this would have mirrored my Mac on the iOS devices also can u check on your iOS device under playlists do you have a playlist called purchased music and on your Mac do you have one called purchased can you tell me if each of these are matching for you in regards to the same order and layout of the playlist across all devices and the same amount of songs

Thanks

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I deleted all standard playlists in iTunes eons ago and replaced them with Smart Playlist.

I have a windows computer and I don't mind the order in playlists because I use the shuffle option most of the time.

My advice to you is, no matter if it says 'uploaded', 'purchased' or 'Apple Music' as long as you have a backup of your own music on an external storage disk somewhere safe, just enjoy the music on your devices and hide the tab Status from iTunes.

Music is there to let people relax. Good evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2