Does recovery mode wipe a phone even with a passcode?

I

iMore Question

I lost my phone today and have just learned a bit about recovery mode, I am wondering if it would be possible for someone to find my locked iPhone and put it into recovery mode and wipe it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I lost my phone today and have just learned a bit about recovery mode, I am wondering if it would be possible for someone to find my locked iPhone and put it into recovery mode and wipe it?
Yes, a person can take your iPhone and put it in recovery mode and wipe it. Having said that, he or she would still be unable to use the iPhone if it is protected with the iCloud Activation Lock. In other words, if you had Find My iPhone enabled on the device at the time it was lost then the person who finds it will not be able to use it, unless, of course, they know the lockscreen passcode. Without it or the iCloud passcode, the iPhone will be useless to the finder.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If you have enabled iCloud on your phone, you can visit icloud.com > Find My iPhone and erase it from your computer.
Please keep in mind your iPhone has to be connected to internet to do so.
But good news is, nobody can use your phone as long as they don't know your iCloud credentials.

I'm sorry you lost your phone and will be able to track it back.