Can I recover mails from an iPhone?

I

iMore Question

I have an iPhone with mails downloaded from an IMAP mailbox.
The mailbox no longer exists on the mail server and the phone is unable to connect to it.
I want to get the mails from the phone copied to a computer or another mailbox.

I tried following instructions to move mail to another mailbox on the phone, but I always get the "Unable to Move Messages" error.

Is there some other way to retrieve the mail, through a backup or accessing the filesystem directly?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to retrieve the email from a backup, but not in a file manner. You're going to have to restore that backup to your iPhone to actually view the email.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You should be able to retrieve the email from a backup, but not in a file manner. You're going to have to restore that backup to your iPhone to actually view the email.

Depending on what kind of printer you have you MIGHT be able to print out the important ones and then just keep them in a paper file. I use gmail as my main email just because I know it will never go away and I can archive forever if I want. Same can be said of other major mail provider such as hotmail, yahoo, probably even icloud, but any "provider" email such as comcast, verizon, cox, etc will be gone shortly after you leave service with them.