Quotation Marks

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
How do I get properly configured quotation marks ? I can get "or? but not the shape I would use to begin a quotation with, so why two marks the same on the keyboard.This is probably an antique gripe but why no fix ?
Anybody answering ?that's just the way it is, get used to it? may have my very worst thoughts.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
How do I get properly configured quotation marks ? I can get "or? but not the shape I would use to begin a quotation with, so why two marks the same on the keyboard.This is probably an antique gripe but why no fix ?
Anybody answering ?that's just the way it is, get used to it? may have my very worst thoughts.

You have used quotation marks in the above reply. So looks like you figured out your answer.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You have used quotation marks in the above reply. So looks like you figured out your answer.

If I read him right, he was referring to quotation marks like these in the image below.
663562076f1c59a8087baaf9b6ec2347.png

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
That was a bit premature ! anyway allI was talking about is that the quotation marks offered are identical, eg slanting from left to right like ? ? this from the slide options ( that is using both offerings) or like this " vertical. What was obviously originally intended on the slide option was a mark oriented like` ( but doubled) to start the quotation, but what ended up happening was the same symbol repeated on the slide. I don't like "this" cheap shortcut and would prefer the option that we have half of on the slide ? which is a more attractive cheapo shortcut to the correct answer posted by Tartarus.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
the correct answer posted by Tartarus.

I love taking credit for stuff I answered or posted, but not for this one as I only liked a post so in this case the credit goes to Ledsteplin.

It goes without saying  or Unicode association in general chose for this easy to type easy to read quotation symbol out of convenience. The old typewriter like quotation mark is nice and I prefer those as well but if there is not much demand for it, it won't come back on itself.

I have to say I like this symbol better because it's one symbol for opening and closing quotations whereas the classic quotation symbols need one for opening and one for closing, thus leading for more congestion in the already small and crowded keyboards.

I think you'll be better of with third party keyboards in this matter.

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In old times on typewriters, in newspapers and in books, I mean, in the non-digital world is that a common quotation mark.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Dear me ! you are all getting very muddled aren't you ?
Look, put your fingers on the quotation mark symbol on the numbers keyboard'

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
bugger, I keep doing that ! anyway put your finger where I said and hold, what do you see.... yes you are right two symbols exactly the same, The first ? needs to be reversed to get the result that must have been the intent of the person that set this keyboard up. I wish I hadn't started this thread, difficult to get my point across to you, must be an American thing ?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
bugger, I keep doing that ! anyway put your finger where I said and hold, what do you see.... yes you are right two symbols exactly the same, The first ? needs to be reversed to get the result that must have been the intent of the person that set this keyboard up. I wish I hadn't started this thread, difficult to get my point across to you, must be an American thing ?

It is not so much an American thing, it just wasn't explained very well. You're talking about using a long press on the quotation mark key on the keyboard to bring up the alternate characters for that particular key. Yes, I see exactly what you're talking about. Although they're angled the same way they're not the same mark. Look very closely. The one on the left is wider at the bottom; the one on the right is wider at the top. I have no clue why that is because I'm not particularly passionate about my quotation marks.
I tried getting a screenshot but you either have to be a ninja or a Jedi to figure out how to take a screenshot while also long pressing the keyboard.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR