Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By kataran
  • 2 Post By Ledsteplin
  • 1 Post By jimkraz
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Default What does this "gear" for and why does it seem to continuously working?

I've noticed recently that this "network activity gear" seems to be continuously working and I'm wondering why. I've never noticed it continually spinning before..What does this "gear" for and why does it seem to continuously working?-gear.png
    Last edited by Annie_i6s; 06-14-2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Updated my question

Default Re: What does this "gear" for and why does it seem to continuously working?

It could be a number of things like mail syncing

Double tap your home button and swipe up to close all apps and see if it's an app working in the background
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Pro

Default Re: What does this "gear" for and why does it seem to continuously working?

Thanks! I think you're right... it's mail syncing! I closed all apps and it was still spinning. So I did a forced restart and that seemed to stop it. Then a few minutes ago, I was checking mail, and saw it spinning again. But it stopped this time! I was just concerned for my battery life and data usage!

Default What does this "gear" for and why does it seem to continuously working?

Quote Originally Posted by Annie_i6s View Post
    Thanks! I think you're right... it's mail syncing! I closed all apps and it was still spinning. So I did a forced restart and that seemed to stop it. Then a few minutes ago, I was checking mail, and saw it spinning again. But it stopped this time! I was just concerned for my battery life and data usage!
    It's usually the app store after updating apps. I wouldn't get in a habit of swiping out all your apps. It's hard on the apps and uses more resources to open back up.
    Annie_i6s and Rob Phillips like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Pro

That's good t know as well!!! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Annie_i6s View Post
    That's good t know as well!!! Thanks!
    I call the gear thingy a spinning wheel. Other than app updates, I really don't know what else causes it. It doesn't usually last long.
    iMore Intermediate

You can of course set mail only to come down when you want in your mail settings.
    Annie_i6s likes this.