Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Default Re: Why hasn't Apple unlocked the FM chip in the iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Now we're on the same page. They can do it. They don't want to. Reason - none. They just don't want to. This is very Apple, that much I know.

Hahahaha, yes. We'll see how that works out for them.
    It's a reason. They want a very thin phone.
    iMore Nanite

It might have to do with accounting rules. They once had to charge for an iPod Touch update to unlock features already in the device. I think they had the same issue on the Mac once. If they were to unlock it they'd be required to charge for it. I could wrong though.
    Q&A Jedi

Laura Knotek likes this.

That's what I use.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    I work in an industry where duplication of communication equipment is routine, and those who live long enough to learn understand that it is better to have several devices with "one function per box" rather than one single multipurpose device..
    Don't miss the point, modern day life is more like an Swiss army knife, most want a single device that does everything to include wallet, keys, banking etc... I can't see anyone saying, "got my flip flops, shorts, beach towel, shades... Oh, and transistor radio in case there's an emergency..." But glad we can all gather around yours...

Heck man, I'm looking for the day when our drivers license, registration and insurance cards are loaded into our phones and you can give them to the cop via Bluetooth or NFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    Don't miss the point, modern day life is more like an Swiss army knife, most want a single device that does everything to include wallet, keys, banking etc... I can't see anyone saying, "got my flip flops, shorts, beach towel, shades... Oh, and transistor radio in case there's an emergency..." But glad we can all gather around yours...

Heck man, I'm looking for the day when our drivers license, registration and insurance cards are loaded into our phones and you can give them to the cop via Bluetooth or NFC.
    You can auto insurance cards. They emailed me mine and it's good if I get stopped.
    Annie_i6s and Soapm like this.
    Q&A Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    You can auto insurance cards. They emailed me mine and it's good if I get stopped.
    One of THE first apps I had to load on my Dad's Priv was his Geico app!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Alot of phones have always had FM radios. They do not drain the battery the complete opposite. It saves the battery better than streaming. Alot of city workers and construction workers and drivers without radios in there trucks still us FM radio's on there phones. You can have the radio on way longer than streaming. Their is a FM receiver in every iphone that is a part of the bluetooth/wifi chip but apple can't just activate it with an update. The hardware to connect the receiver to the antenna or headphones is not there.
    iMore Nanite

The FM receivers in the wifi radios of nearly all modern smartphones are perfectly capable of being used if they were enabled by the OEM/carriers.

Many countries outside the US have it enabled by default and even recently T-mobile and some other carriers have enabled it on the Samsung S7s. No issues with reception or battery life. In fact as others have said, playing music via the FM vs. streaming via data uses significantly less power.

Most have chalked it up to carriers not wanting to provide a data free method of playing any media. However T-mobile is certainly pushing back against than with their Binge program. If they make streaming music via data free, there's no incentive for them to block FM radio any longer.
    iMore Elite

Now we're on the same page. They can do it. They don't want to. Reason - none. They just don't want to. This is very Apple, that much I know.

Hahahaha, yes. We'll see how that works out for them.
    Most likely will sell less phones that would have sold if there was a headphone jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Beagle View Post
    Most likely will sell less phones that would have sold if there was a headphone jack.
    People said the same thing when Apple ditched the 30-pin port on iPhone and iPad. They got over that and they'll get over this.
    Truthfully, the Lightning port can push a lot more power than the headphone jack. What this will equate to is much better sound.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Cool, scratch one off my list...

More like... No, just unlock your phone and hand it to me so I can scan the barcode on screen. And while it's unlocked it there's a Cellebrite... You don't want to unlock it? Well please sit in my car.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by DevilishBanker View Post
    People said the same thing when Apple ditched the 30-pin port on iPhone and iPad. They got over that and they'll get over this.
    Truthfully, the Lightning port can push a lot more power than the headphone jack. What this will equate to is much better sound.
    Heh, if only it worked like that. Instead, you're going to get some crappy dongle with a terrible DAC built into it for $50 that you will have to keep plugged in all the time. There will be fewer sales as a result of the headphone jack being removed. I have no doubts about it. Problem is though, it likely won't be possible to separate the lower sales due to the missing headphone jack from just a general decline in demand for the iPhone. We will likely have to wait until the 2017 release to really gauge the impact.

Heh, if only it worked like that. Instead, you're going to get some crappy dongle with a terrible DAC built into it for $50 that you will have to keep plugged in all the time. There will be fewer sales as a result of the headphone jack being removed. I have no doubts about it. Problem is though, it likely won't be possible to separate the lower sales due to the missing headphone jack from just a general decline in demand for the iPhone. We will likely have to wait until the 2017 release to really gauge the impact.
    You're working on assumptions. The Lightning port is capable of pushing more power, period. This is no different than switching from cassettes to CDs. People didn't stop listening to music; they griped for a moment and then adapted to a newer, better technology.
    Yes, Apple will have a hole to fill with billions of headphones currently out in the wild but neither of us have any idea how they are going to tackle that.
    And smartphone sales are slowing, not just iPhones.
    iMore Intermediate

I use TuneIn radio and iheartradio apps. the combination normally gets me the radio station i want.
    iMore Newbie

Cool, scratch one off my list...
    Careful though. While they are accepted in most states, there are some states that still don't allow them.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by DevilishBanker View Post
    You're working on assumptions. The Lightning port is capable of pushing more power, period. This is no different than switching from cassettes to CDs. People didn't stop listening to music; they griped for a moment and then adapted to a newer, better technology.
    Yes, Apple will have a hole to fill with billions of headphones currently out in the wild but neither of us have any idea how they are going to tackle that.
    And smartphone sales are slowing, not just iPhones.
    Care to be more specific about what "assumptions" I am making that you believe could be far from the truth? Pushing power can't solve the problem that you are going to need to transfer a signal to an external adapter. I very much doubt the signal will be analog over a port that was clearly designed for digital, which implies a DAC has to be in either the external dongle or the headphones themselves. Nothing to worry about though since a 3.5mm jack is so outdated I'm sure all those billions of headphones are ripe for replacement.
    iMore Nanite

Apple does include an FM radio chip in the latest 6S line of phones, and they have similar chips in past models. It's integrated into the Wifi/Bluetooth chip. They just choose to disable it, because that's in Apple's best interest. Why give you access to free FM radio signals, when you can rely on cellular data or wifi data, which is in the carrier's best interest?

Many Android and Windows phones use a similar wifi chip, which offers an integrated FM radio. This uses the headset port as a radio antenna. The quality of the reception depends on your location (I've had decent reception outdoors, and fair reception indoors).

Ref: iFixit teardowns (https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPho...Teardown/48170 step 19, https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPho...Teardown/48171 step 12.) The Universal Scientific Industrial 339S00043 Wi-Fi Module included in both is the Broadcom BCM4350: https://www.broadcom.com/products/wi...ss-lan/bcm4350 which includes Wifi, BT, and FM
    Annie_i6s and Branta like this.
    iMore Pro

Default Why hasn't Apple unlocked the FM chip in the iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    I listen to FM radio almost daily. Just saying.
    I listen to AM radio all day long at work. Why can't Apple put an AM radio chip in the iPhone. I would definitely use that. FM is dead. AM is the way to go.
    iMore Elite

Quote Originally Posted by scruffypig View Post
    I listen to AM radio all day long at work. Why can't Apple put an AM radio chip in the iPhone. I would definitely use that. FM is dead. AM is the way to go.
    That would be nice. AM stations that play music play much better music that most FM stations.
    iMore Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Annie_i6s View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. I wasn't all that eager about downloading the app, but with all the hype on television and radio regarding emergency preparedness, I was merely curious. And your point about a small standalone radio is well taken. And of course there are our car radios as well.
    I lived in California and they drum it in your heads to keep a small transistor radio with fresh batteries in an emergency box. Also a similar box in the car.
    When I moved to the MidAtlantic I brought that lesson to my new home. I've added a few things like LED camp lights and flashlights and of course radios.

My next purchase will be a weather radio.

I don't like to have a single point of failure. Work has taught me to maintain redundancy.
    iMore Genius

The point is that in case of an emergency you want to have discrete tech for specific tasks.

When the 2012 derecho that came through the MidAtlantic left me with no power for three days and only my phones for weather information, I resolved to get a standalone weather radio. I've been lazy and haven't done but I will before winter hits.

You can carry your phone and rely on that only but if the towers go down you're a siting duck on your beach towel with your flip flops and your glasses and your phone that's inaccessible to information.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12