Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ledsteplin
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    RightyFellow91's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    25 Posts

    Default Live Photos problem.

    Hi, I have all my photos including Live Photos in Google Photos. I know want them all in my photos app on the iPhone (camera roll) and when I try to save the Live Photo image from Google photos I get the following message "trouble saving to camera roll". So I went on my Mac and saved them from Google photos to the computer to then import into the Mac photos app. But when I import them the Live Photo does not stay intact I get the standard image and a zip folder with a .MOV file. I'm pretty sure I've done this before and it's worked. Is there any possible way I can those Live Photos back in my iPhone camera roll from Google photos?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Live Photos problem.

    Not that I could find. Google doesn't tell us we can only store our live photos in Google Photos. There's no way to move them back to the camera roll. They should warn Folks about that.
    Using 2 different apps, you can change the live photos to a video. Then upload the video to a cloud based app like Dropbox or Box. Save it back to the camera roll and use the other app to change it to the live photo. I think. I need to test that.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    RightyFellow91's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    25 Posts

    Default Re: Live Photos problem.

    Kinda a mess huh... Is there anyway you could replicate this for me? That is if you use Google photos, just because I haven't seen any issues on this matter before which leads me to believe it may be the photos are corrupted. I hope not! 😠

    Thanks for your reply!
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Live Photos problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Connor Furlong View Post
    Kinda a mess huh... Is there anyway you could replicate this for me? That is if you use Google photos, just because I haven't seen any issues on this matter before which leads me to believe it may be the photos are corrupted. I hope not!

    Thanks for your reply!
    I tried already months ago. You just can't save live photos back to the camera roll. It renders them to a regular photo. Google Photos won't even do that much, unless there's been an update to change it. I know I can upload live photos to Box. They work in the Box app. But when I save back to camera roll, they no longer work as live. I don't make many live photos because of this. They take too much space on the phone, with no place to store them.
    RightyFellow91 likes this.
  5. #5  
    cdpinker's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Re: Live Photos problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    I tried already months ago. You just can't save live photos back to the camera roll. It renders them to a regular photo. Google Photos won't even do that much, unless there's been an update to change it. I know I can upload live photos to Box. They work in the Box app. But when I save back to camera roll, they no longer work as live. I don't make many live photos because of this. They take too much space on the phone, with no place to store them.
    It's actually worse than that. I have used Google Photos to edit a live photo, which turns it into a normal photo, but I still can't re-download that photo to the camera roll. I think the reason is that Google Photos is still keeping the original live photo (as edits are non-destructive - the original is preserved).

    So basically if you ever use the "free up space" feature of Google Photos, you will never be able to re-download any photos that were taken as Live Photos, whether you've edited them in Google Photos or not.
  6. #6  
    CyreneK's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    89 Posts

    Default Re: Live Photos problem.

    I have no problem saving a live photo to Google Photo's, deleting it from my camera roll, then saving it back to camera roll from Google Photos. I'm able to play the live photo from either source. Maybe because I'm on the Beta? I cannot replicate the OP's issue.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Live Photos problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdpinker View Post
    It's actually worse than that. I have used Google Photos to edit a live photo, which turns it into a normal photo, but I still can't re-download that photo to the camera roll. I think the reason is that Google Photos is still keeping the original live photo (as edits are non-destructive - the original is preserved).

    So basically if you ever use the "free up space" feature of Google Photos, you will never be able to re-download any photos that were taken as Live Photos, whether you've edited them in Google Photos or not.
    I think it can be done using 2 apps. But it's a lot of switching to and fro and back again. I had it figured out using the apps Lively and IntoLive. Ok, just did it. Take a live photo in the Lively app and convert it to a video. Upload to Box or Dropbox as video for storage. Then save back to the camera roll. Then into the IntoLive app and convert back to a live photo and save to camera roll. It works.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Live Photos problem.

    These apps.
    Lively - Export Live Photo to GIF and Movie by Tiny Whale Pte. Ltd.
    https://appsto.re/us/LjvK-.i

    intoLive - turn your videos & gifs into Live Photos by Minkyoung Kim
    https://appsto.re/us/S7Qs_.i

Similar Threads

  1. Siri Remote mic problems
    By GlennRuss in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 04:38 PM
  2. Upload photos from Photo?
    By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2016, 08:04 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2016, 12:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2016, 10:12 AM
  5. How do you delete uneditable photos from albums?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2016, 07:15 AM

Posting Permissions