Can a device's battery be left on the charger continuously?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but at some point I'd like to think that it would damage or degrade the battery, but I'm only speculating.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's not good to leave them plugged in all the time. It doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in overnight, but it needs to be removed asap.
Power is to your iPhone battery as sweets are to a human: It has the potential of inflicting too much of a good thing. Keeping your iPhone plugged into power can shorten its battery?s life span, or the amount of time before you must replace it. You actually strengthen your lithium-ion battery and prevent its premature demise each time you make it power your iPhone on its own, without the crutch of a power source. As Apple puts it, ?It?s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally.? So, if you keep your iPhone plugged in in an attempt to save a charge cycle, you'll actually defeat your purpose. The best way to conserve charge cycles is to use the device less. If you average 8 hours per day usage, cut it back to 7? hours per day.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I don't let concerns about battery life control the use of my devices.
However, when driving for more than a few minutes, it's charging in the car.
Having BT enabled car makes calling easy & now Siri enables with a push of a buttoning my steering wheel.
Also when I'm home & next to my charger, if it's convenient, my iPhone & iPad after charging.
Good Luck

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't let concerns about battery life control the use of my devices.
However, when driving for more than a few minutes, it's charging in the car.
Having BT enabled car makes calling easy & now Siri enables with a push of a buttoning my steering wheel.
Also when I'm home & next to my charger, if it's convenient, my iPhone & iPad after charging.
Good Luck

My usage is similar to @TurboTiger :)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's not good to leave them plugged in all the time. It doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in overnight, but it needs to be removed asap.
Power is to your iPhone battery as sweets are to a human: It has the potential of inflicting too much of a good thing. Keeping your iPhone plugged into power can shorten its battery?s life span, or the amount of time before you must replace it. You actually strengthen your lithium-ion battery and prevent its premature demise each time you make it power your iPhone on its own, without the crutch of a power source. As Apple puts it, ?It?s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally.? So, if you keep your iPhone plugged in in an attempt to save a charge cycle, you'll actually defeat your purpose. The best way to conserve charge cycles is to use the device less. If you average 8 hours per day usage, cut it back to 7? hours per day.

I didn't see them asking to conserve cycles. But saying use your phone 30 minutes less a day is like reading an iMore article about battery saving tips. It's like disable features and don't use your phone to its potential.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't see them asking to conserve cycles. But saying use your phone 30 minutes less a day is like reading an iMore article about battery saving tips. It's like disable features and don't use your phone to its potential.

It's just a suggestion. The point is not to leave it on the charger 24/7. And, no, conserving cycles wasn't mentioned. But why else ask about that?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's just a suggestion. The point is not to leave it on the charger 24/7. And, no, conserving cycles wasn't mentioned. But why else ask about that?

Maybe they are like some of my coworkers. They always leave their phone on the charger at work. Why they do I don't know. Some people are just more comfortable have their phone always topped off.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they are like some of my coworkers. They always leave their phone on the charger at work. Why they do I don't know. Some people are just more comfortable have their phone always topped off.

I understand topping it off. But she sounded like she might want to leave it charging non stop. Maybe not.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't hurt the battery to have it on charge non stop over a period of month as far as you can assure 1 complete cycle of the battery at least in a month time.
In fact I too keep my iPhone in charge whenever I can, home, office, it's always on charge, when I'm not in these 2 location then I'm on iPhone battery alone.
Except for the capacity and sizes, are the components of Mac battery different from iPhone battery? I have my MacBook plug in 24h/24h, 7/7days and will run a full cycle of the battery once in a month, already 8 months now, using coconut to check every so often and my MacBook battery is rocking solid with increase capacity than designed actually.
Anyway, my iPhone is all the time on power, even planing to get a Mophie case and turn it on when I'm not at home or in office and use it like I used to since the iPhone 4.
My personal experience.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This is something that I continually wonder/worry about. I try and let my phone's battery get down to 20% before plugging in. However, if I'm going somewhere, and will not be able to charge, I will charge it in the car on my way there. I also have a portable battery charger to use as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR