- 04-30-2016, 01:12 PM #2
- 290 Posts
Re: Is it safe to jailbreak your iphone?
Depends on your definition of "safe". I can see two considerations -
1. Can you successfully carry out the steps to jailbreak, and finish with a working phone rather than a very expensive paperweight. That depends on having good software and your technical ability to follow the process without disasters.
2. Is a jailbroken phone "safe". In the phone world jailbreak is functionally equivalent to running a computer with "root" or "administrator" rights, and we all know this is not the smartest idea when devices are always at risk from malicious attack.
There's another consideration - the phone is certified and approved (FCC, etc) with specific software and configuration. A Jailbroken phone no longer has that configuration and might have unapproved software components so no longer in compliance with approvals. That means a risk the phone may be seized if you attract the wrong kind of attention.
As far as warranty goes, that's a grey area. It would probably depend whether the claimed defect could be blamed on unofficial software.
- 04-30-2016, 01:16 PM #3
- By Snappy Phoenix in forum iPhone SEReplies: 48Last Post: 06-06-2016, 06:02 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 8Last Post: 05-01-2016, 08:35 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 04-30-2016, 06:03 PM
- By GeekFoss in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 04-30-2016, 08:35 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 04-30-2016, 06:12 AM