What ipad should I buy for an 8 year old ?

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
My sentiments exactly.

I just realized two-year old recognizes every number from 0 to 9. We never taught him that. Then I remembered he's been messing around with a numbers app on his iPad (well, my old iPad that he has claimed as his own). Not to say it should replace being taught by his mother and I but we hadn't yet started working on number recognition with him.

Two year old what?

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
A lot, if not most, school systems use tech.

Ipads in primary
iPads in the classroom: embedding technology in the primary curriculum | Teacher Network | The Guardian
http://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/hicss/2012/4525/00/4525a078.pdf

Our society has made a familiarity with tech to be a needful thing. While kids need physical activity to remain fit and to burn of excess energy, I would rather they spend quiet time on educational games than watching some inane TV programme.

I guess you make a good point there. Something like an otterbox case with a screen protector would go a long ways to keeping it working as well.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
My kids both 7 and 4 both have iPad mini's, a 1 gen iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I usually get the free iPads from AT&T from their promo deals and hand them over to them. It's really nice and they have learned a lot with the educational apps.

They are even better on road trips! A couple of them have LTE and they beat me installing TV's in my vehicles lol.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My 8 year old would never get an iPad or anything else of the sort. Too much risk of it being ruined. Plus they need to be outside playing with other kids, not focused on tech.

"I know you asked a specific question but I'm gonna take this opportunity to blast anyone I can with my inconsequential ramblings...also I think I'll go yell at the kids in my neighborhood...young whipper-snappers."

Answer the question or move on.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
"I know you asked a specific question but I'm gonna take this opportunity to blast anyone I can with my inconsequential ramblings...also I think I'll go yell at the kids in my neighborhood...young whipper-snappers."

Answer the question or move on.
Pot, meet kettle. You didn't answer the question either but you took the time to ramble :)

kravex

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
None, get him A Macbook or Windows laptop, encourage him to be a producer of things rather than a consumer, have him write the next app rather than just downloading it.

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
It's not so much which iPad ? it's what you do with it.

We are a household of 5 (2 adults and 3 children) and have a tradition of reading books together.

Before the iPad (2010) we would sit together and 1 person would read a page, or so, aloud -- then [randomly] select someone to read next -- showing him where to continue.. Each would ask for (or offer to) help as needed with: vocabulary, pronunciation, meaning, etc. -- and we'd all discuss it.

I bought an original iPad and we substituted it for the book. This was a very successful substitute as it added a new interest.

Later, when iPads were no longer back-ordered, we bought iPads for each family member. Then family reading sessions really changed ... Each had his own copy of the iBook. As one person would read aloud, each of the others had to follow along reading to himself -- so that if called upon to read next, he could pick up immediately (knowing exactly where the other had ended). Also, anyone could pause/interrupt asking questions about a specific word or phrase.

It was amazing as the kids were in kind of a competition to outdo each other ? often asking to read next ? or saying that so-and-so was reading too much ..

You had to be there: seeing/hearing/watching an 11-year old reading the Iceworm Cocktail ?

?You're only spoofin' me, old chap. You'll never swallow that."
"The hell I won't!" said Deacon White. "Hey! Bill, that fellows fine.
Fix up four ice-worm cocktails, and just put that wop in mine.??

Nutcase4u

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, and they weren't seeking approval. Just wondering opinions of which ipad would be best for their 8 year old. Not weather or not to get one.
Ipad mini 3 or 4, in conjunction with a tough protective case.

duke821

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I'd get your kid what I got my 6 year old (and loaded it with only colorful educational apps and no YouTube!).... an iPad Mini 4 with 64GB of memory for all those Pixar movies that can save a road trip or restaurant meal from potential disaster.

Chargerman165

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My 9 year old daughter had an iPad Mimi and so did my 11 year old stepson. Both asked for iPad Air 2 64g for Christmas because they watch a lot of video so they now have those now and absolutely love them. Air also holds value better. By the way the 9 year old is a bit smaller than others her age.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought my 7 year old son a refurb iPad mini with a generic shock proof case. He takes pretty good care of it, since he knows that if it gets wrecked, there won't be a replacement.

Grimley141

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
We bought iPad Mini 2's for our sons. Whatever you get, just make sure it is in a durable case. And trust me, just because it's durable for you doesn't mean it's durable for an 8-year-old (speaking from experience here). Apple Care+ is something to consider if you get something new, even if you normally don't buy it for your devices.

My 11YO son smashed his iPad within 30 days of purchase :( . What I thought was a durable case was apparently not durable enough. Fortunately I bought the Apple Care+ for their iPads (I normally don't buy it, but I figured they were kids and had a much higher likelihood of needing it). After a long discussion about taking care of things that are given to them and a trip to the Apple Store to pay the deductible and swap it out, we haven't had a recurrence fortunately.

Techdude2000

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes, we bought our 8 year old daughter an Air 64gb last year and the educational apps have been great! We went for more memory, so she can load some movies on it to watch while traveling in the car. She is working on her multiplication tables and loves the cursive writing apps. We put hers in one of the thick foam type cases with the handle and she takes it everywhere. It has been a good tool for teaching her how to care for something of value and it's helping her with math, reading, spelling, and writing. We just had a parent/teacher conference and she is doing 3rd grade work in her 2nd grade class. Her teacher was very excited about her progress.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2