Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Need a recommendation for a book on OSX, tired of stumbling around looking for files or commands. Any suggestions?

I wand too now more about the file system, BASH, cmd line, shell scripts and programming. I want to know about the guts of the system.

Default Re: Need a recommendation for a book on OSX. Tired of stumbling around looking for files or comman

Welcome to iMore!

Here is a link to The Missing Manual. Great book for learning OS X. Here is a link to keyboard shortcuts on the Mac.
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Need a recommendation for a book on OSX, tired of stumbling around looking for files or commands

Not a BOOK, but I would strongly recommend Lynda.com for courses about a lot of this stuff. They've got TONS of programming courses that will get you started with really good teachers. And they've got a course specifically about the UNIX command line for OSX (sorry macOS
    ).

Check it out here: https://www.lynda.com/Mac-OS-X-10-6-...roducttypeid:2

You can pay for a subscription, and I think maybe you can even just purchase a single course if you wanted.
    iMore Beginner

Default Re: Need a recommendation for a book on OSX, tired of stumbling around looking for files or commands

I think for the Programming aspect, Big Nerd Ranch comes highly recommended, they have a book on Apple's programming language Swift, Objective C, Cocoa programming and Advanced Mac Programming https://www.bignerdranch.com/we-write/
    iMore Nanite

If you REALLY want to become an advanced user in a relatively short amount of time I would consider the Peachpit line of books. I am not sure if they still make them but they were phenomenal back in the day. I think the last one I saw was for Yosemite. Haven't looked since then. They are more of a Support line of books but you will be an expert and would rarely ever need to call Apple for support and would be the person that helps others with their Apple stuff if you wanted to be that person. Welcome Apple Customers! | Peachpit