Why does it come up with 'message send failure' when sending a text though iPhone?

I

iMore Question

When I try to send a iPhone message to a non-iphone user, it comes up with 'message send failure'. I can receive texts from them and I have MMS messaging on but it still doesn't work. Im on iOS 8.3.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

How big is the message you're sending?

iMessage uses a different protocol than regular MMS, so big messages will still go through. MMS has size limitations that are quite small, so if you're friend doesn't have an iPhone you'll probably need to send them a link to the message in a cloud storage account or upload it to YouTube if it's big.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Check to see if you have their number set up as an iPhone. I had that happen once. If it is just change it to a different label

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
The label is set on mobile. Occasionally after I try and send the message, a screen will pop up saying 'text messaging service is unavailable due to insufficient funds' even though I have unlimited texts. Or it will say 'destination number format incorrect' even though it is the right number.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I try to send a iPhone message to a non-iphone user, it comes up with 'message send failure'. I can receive texts from them and I have MMS messaging on but it still doesn't work. Im on iOS 8.3.

Go to Settings → Messages → Send & Receive, and then make sure that your Phone number is used to send & receive text messages. In addition, make sure that "Send as SMS" is enabled.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
SMS is enabled. I don't have the send and receive option maybe because its iOS 8.3 instead of a newer one.

Try resetting your network settings. Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings. If that does not work, try a hard reset (this does not erase anything on your phone); press and hold down both Home and Power buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo. Then let go of the buttons and allow the phone to restart.

If that fails, factory reset the phone (this erases everything, do a backup first!). A factory reset will install fresh system files just in case your phone has corrupted files. If that fails you'll need to contact your cell phone carrier.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro