Help understanding phone storage vs cloud storage?

I

iMore Question

I need help understanding icloud storage. I have a 64GB 6s and also purchased 200GB of cloud storage. I have 8,500 photos. Will that use all of the storage up?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. If all you images are on your phone, then no. It will only take up whatever the size of that group of images is. Example: If total size of all images is 40GB, then it should only take up 40GB of your iCloud.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It will use a lot. But you can always upload photos to Box or Dropbox, then delete them from the camera roll. That would free up space in iCloud.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I need help understanding icloud storage. I have a 64GB 6s and also purchased 200GB of cloud storage. I have 8,500 photos. Will that use all of the storage up?

To answer the thread question, phone storage is the storage capacity of the iPhone itself. iCloud storage is the allotted storage capacity aside from that of the iPhone. If you have 8,500 photos, it is recommended that you have copies in multiple places. For example, external hard drive or USB stick, iCloud, on your computer, and DVD.