Dropped 5s into toilet...I heard putting it into rice helps dry it out???

I

iMore Question

After letting it dry out...the phone powered up and came on....but I can't type anything...or even slide it on to the main screen...I heard putting into rice...Helps??

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Fill a zip lock bag with uncooked rice and put your phone in the bag for 48 hours. It may help but probably going to have to replace your phone.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After letting it dry out...the phone powered up and came on....but I can't type anything...or even slide it on to the main screen...I heard putting into rice...Helps??

Make plans to replace the device. If you have Apple Care Plus or another form of insurance on the device, now would be a good time to use it.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
White rice works the best, do not use an instant rice like Uncle Ben's.

I have recovered a few people's iPhones this way, with the occasional watermark.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Silica bags work better than rice but you need A LOT of pouches. Sounds like you may end up having to replace the phone, hope things go well. Keep us updated!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
If it is already showing signs of water damage, then it will need to be replaced unfortunately. Wish it was better news for you.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
There is a 50/50 chance it will survive. I can say this because my wife dropped her 5c into a river, fully submerged. I placed it into a bowl of white rice (the rice that takes 40 minutes to cook) with no lid. I keep it in the rice for 3 days, changing out the rice every day. On the third day I took it out and used a hair dryer on the low setting just to be safe.

Thankfully the phone was fine and still operates 2 years later without an issue. I may have been the lucky one, but I have done this for quite a few devices. Some are fine, some aren't.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox