How do I stop iOS from killing background apps?

I

iMore Question

Multiple apps on multiple devices at my workplace that use iOS need to be relied on for communication (examples: Lync, SIP apps) but iOS kills them regularly from memory. We have background app refresh turned on. Anything we can do?

Djlatino

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
It's something that even high end devices like S7 come across.
"Tentative RAM" is the term that's used nowadays for it. No, you can't really do anything about it besides contacting the developers about the issue.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Stop worrying about it. It's supposed to work that way. iOS manages RAM very well. Apps don't need to stay in the background all the time. Most are only there a short time. A minute. Most apps in the multitasking tray are not running. There's no concern here.

le10

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm the OP. The issue is much less prevalent on Android because apps can do things like persistent notifications to tell the OS not to kill the app. @Ledsteplin, it is an issue. The whole point is it is a communication app and needs to be kept alive.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm the OP. The issue is much less prevalent on Android because apps can do things like persistent notifications to tell the OS not to kill the app. @Ledsteplin, it is an issue. The whole point is it is a communication app and needs to be kept alive.

If by any chance your device is jailbroken, then you are lucky and can search for "infinityTask" in Cydia. It does exactly what you want.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Just keep unimportant apps swiped out of multitasking. Then it won't happen.
How do you know the app is being killed? Here's some info on how multitasking works.
http://www.tested.com/tech/ios/3389-the-truth-about-apple-ios-multitasking-and-memory-management/

You can't compare how iOS manages RAM with Android. They don't work the same way.

Last edited: