Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default Decrease File Size of PDF on Mac

Hi! I'm just wondering if anyone here knows how to dramatically decrease a file size of a PDF without sacrificing its quality? I've tried the Quartz Filter Reduce File Size; it achieved my aim to dramatically decrease the file size but it sacrificed the quality a looooooot. Can anyone please help?

Default Re: Decrease File Size of PDF on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Pau Lucero View Post
    Hi! I'm just wondering if anyone here knows how to dramatically decrease a file size of a PDF without sacrificing its quality? I've tried the Quartz Filter Reduce File Size; it achieved my aim to dramatically decrease the file size but it sacrificed the quality a looooooot. Can anyone please help?
    Welcome to iMore. I do have a set of Apple Quartz filters that I use which allows me to have added choices for file size reduction in Preview. Simply a matter of installing the filters in your Library/PDF Services folder which will make them available to you for reducing the file size. Just try the choices that are available and see which works best for you. I have been using these filters for a couple years now and the work great. Just download the ZIP file from here and then place the folder in Library/PDF Services. As you can see from my screenshot, it adds 9 additional compression filters for you. Should be just what you need.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 11.15.02 AM.png
Views: 70
Size:  91.0 KB
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Nanite

Thank you very much for your help. However, I'm having a hard time locating my Library. 😔 I tried search through finder and spotlight but no luck. I'm using the 12" macbook, would you know where I could find it? Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Pau Lucero View Post
    Thank you very much for your help. However, I'm having a hard time locating my Library.  I tried search through finder and spotlight but no luck. I'm using the 12" macbook, would you know where I could find it? Thanks for your help!
    The easiest way to temporarily reveal the ~/Library folder is to open Finder. On the menu bar, at the top, select Go to reveal the drop-down menu and then hold down the Option key (marked ALT) and you will see the ~/Library folder appear. You may now select this ~/Library folder with your mouse or trackpad.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Nanite

Finally, I was able to do it! Thank you so much for your help! 😊