How do I transfer pictures from iPhone 4S to computer HP 8.1?

I

iMore Question

how to transfer pictures from iPhone 4S to computer HP 8.1

I use to beable to transfer my pictures the my iPhone to computer but now I can't, please help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: how to transfer pictures from iPhone 4S to computer HP 8.1

Install iTunes on your computer and then use it to transfer your pics over to it.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
OK. I have a 4s on IOS 9.3 and I do have the latest iTunes installed on my desktop PC - running Windows10. I don't really know iTunes. Can I use iTunes to copy full size iPhone 4s pics to any folder on the PC that I choose? Or does iTunes force the photos to copy into some iTunes location that it chooses or uses? Can I select to copy a whole gob of pictures at once (maybe thousands) rather than having to select pics one-at-a-time? Does the copy leave the pics unchanged on the iPhone? I do already backup (and auto sync) the iPhone to iTunes but I don't really know if that backup copies all the pictures and videos - and if it does, where it puts them and in what format.

9AM CST 7/27/2016 - no updates yet

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

By doing a backup, iTunes creates 1 file with everything on your iPhone in it. If you restore that backup it goes back on your iPhone.

Having said this, you can plug your iPhone with the lightning cable to your computer. In explorer you will see a station with the name of your iPhone in This Computer. Open that station and copy all folders to a location of your own choosing. Depending on the amount of pictures you will see multiple folders with videos and photos in them. You can now move all those files in one folder to have them all in one file.

For your information; I use Dropbox to automatically save my Camera Roll to a designated folder so I don't have to manually copy them myself. I then move them to my photos folder on my computer to free up space in Dropbox. That way I can even delete them from my iPhone if I'm running out of storage on it.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site

The 4S doesn't use a lightning cable. But you knew that.
I have 3 forum entries going. One of them documents that my phone is using about 13GB+ of storage for photos/video. There are 54 videos and 5000+photos (so says the iPhone). The iPhone's DCIM folder contains about 5 sub-folders (called 100apple and similar). But all off the DCIM sub-folders together contain only about 500 (not 5000) photos and 0 videos. So where the heck are the videos and the 4500 other photos?
I can't copy to my PC them for backup if I can't find them on the iPhone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I answered this question in your other thread.

In summary, if you have enabled iCloud Photo Library and enabled Optimize iPhone Storage, your photos will be replaced by low resolution versions on your iPhone, but these pictures won't be there for real, it will be like shortcuts pointing to your iCloud Photos. These photos won't appear the way I said it would.

Ps: yes, the 4s has no lightning cable, I made an honest mistake but no matter how I call it, the jade of plugging it in stays the same.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site

Yes, thanks for that.

I'm waiting for someone to tell me how to actually transfer a mass of photos or the total mass of photos from iCloud to a folder in my Windows PC (I find nothing in iPhoto or iCloud.com to do that). Just doesn't seem reasonable that Apple would make no provision for mass deletes. I mean - we are already to IOS 9+ and the concept of a total photo repository is nothing new.

It seems to me (uneducated as I am about this stuff), that iCloud should have been programmed to have an archive bit for each and every photo. The archive bit would be turned on for every photo that was "deleted" by the iPhone user from his iPhone. The photo would remain in iCloud, with its archive bit turned on until the iPhone user/photo-owner deliberately selected it for deletion from iCloud, at which time the archive bit would be offed and iCloud would purge the photo. The iPhone delete function could ask the iPhone user if he ALSO wanted to delete the photo from iCloud. If a user restored his phone from the iCloud, all his photos except those with the archive bit on would be restored to his iPhone. In this manner, couldn't iCloud be both a backup/share location and a complete photo repository? I mean - why Dropbox for these photos? Surely Apple must have considered something like this and chose for some good reason to not do it.

cwr64

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
If your computer works on Windows 8 or late, you can have a try on Photos app to import iPhone pictures.

When you install iCloud for the desktop PC it puts an iCloud icon down in the right hand end of the taskbar (I forgot the name of that area of the taskbar). If I click that icon, it gives me 2 choices:
1. Go To iCloud.com
2. Open iCloud Settings. in Settings, Photos check-box is checked, and within "Photos" all items are checked on except "iCloud Photo Library". The blurb for that one says it will upload my PC photo library to iCloud. Don't think I would want to do that.

So I clicked to iCloud.com and there I clicked on "All Photos", and it said there are 5029 photos and videos. I selected 3 photos at once and then clicked on "Download" - hoping that all 3 items would be downloaded at one time. No such luck. The app asked me to confirm the download of each item individually - meaning that I would have to confirm download 5029 times to make a PC copy of the library for permanent backup on my PC's hard drive - obviously a non-starter. So - how to reasonably get a copy of these on my PC's hard drive?

Also, on my PC's HD there is a folder - Pictures | iCloud Photos | Download - that contains 4862 .jpg's and .png's - no videos. I don't know where this folder came from or when. The dates of these photos items range from 2014 to April of 2016. And I don't know whether there is a way to update this folder to a current level. Maybe you know?.