I am thinking about switching to iOS from Android. Pros/Cons?

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I have been an android user since 2010. I am currently using the Note 4 and I am open minded about technology and OS's. My problem here is that I am nervous about switching. And I am hoping some of you may be able to answer my questions. (Feels like going from engaged to marriage--nerve wrecking.)

1. I have a lot of documents on my Google Drive. I just open up the app, choose the document, view it, print it and close it. Is there a problem with me using Drive on iOS? Or do I have to stick with iTunes.

2. Amazon Photos. I am a Prime member and currently use Amazon Photos as my cloud service. No issues there? Apple won't block me?

3. Fact or fiction, I can use an external battery pack to charge my iPhone with? Not blocked by Apple or any chip they may have in their chargers?

4. Are there options for using different browsers? Safari I have used and I was underwhelmed with it. I used it on my son's iTouch a couple of years ago.

5. Keyboard options?

6. Can I plug my iPhone into my computer and upload documents or pictures to it, i.e. use it as a USB device?

I apologize if I sound dumb on my questions. Even though I have read through the forum for the last few days I am still mixed with emotions on the change. Yes I am a very loyal man but want to try something new. The 3D touch, the awesome iSight camera and quality build of the iPhone are very intriguing to me. But I know there is much more to the iPhone than the three things I mentioned.

I am looking into the iPhone 6S Plus minimum of 64GB.

Thank you for your time and I cannot wait to read your pros and cons about switching.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
1. Google drive work well in iOS
2. It's better integrated in iOS than any other platform.
3. No issue with battery pack recharging it.
4. Yes plenty of options
5. Yes plenty of options
6. Yes via iTunes or iMazing software.

If money is not an issue, I highly recommend it "6S plus 64gb"

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi! Welcome to iMore! There's nothing to be nervous about. The worst part is no back button. LOL. But you'll adjust. They did include a back button if sorts in iOS 9. All that on your list is nothing to be concerned about. iTunes will take getting used to with music and other things. But you'll be fine. There are many former Android users here. They can help you assimilate into the iOS world.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies to both of you. I have decided to use my son's iPhone 6 as he is getting a new device on Xmas. If I like it, then I will get the 6S Plus for sure.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
One last question. When I do take over my son's iPhone 6, will I have to go into his apple account and disassociate the device? I remember doing something of that nature with his iTouch when we sold it. It wouldn't let the new user put his account on it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
One last question. When I do take over my son's iPhone 6, will I have to go into his apple account and disassociate the device? I remember doing something of that nature with his iTouch when we sold it. It wouldn't let the new user put his account on it.

Go to Settings > iCloud and toggle OFF Find My iPhone, then go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. That will return the device to factory settings and allow you to activate it under a new Apple ID.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies to both of you. I have decided to use my son's iPhone 6 as he is getting a new device on Xmas. If I like it, then I will get the 6S Plus for sure.

That's awesome! You'll enjoy the phone :) Once you get used to a new system, it'll all make sense. I have a co-worker who was all Android and she finally switched, now she's wishing she had done it sooner!

Welcome to iMore :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2