Why is my WiFi not connecting to my iPhone 5 properly?

I

iMore Question

Hi,

When i stand right next to, or in the same room as, my router, the WiFi does connect properly with almost no problems. However, as move a few feet out of this room, into the kitchen, perhaps, or even more importantly upstairs, the WiFi seems to do something interesting/surprising.

When I move upstairs, the WiFi bars still remain on the status bar of the iPhone however, the internet connection does not work properly. In one particular occasion, from my room at a specific point ( which - with my luck - is from the area where I would normally use my phone's internet the most ) doesn't even connect completely. When i try to reconnect my WiFi from upstairs if it does disconnect, it prompts me to enter my password more than once, and then says 'unable to join network' forcing me to go downstairs next to my router to connect.

This iPhone 5 is over 400 days out of warranty, and was my sisters old phone before she got an upgrade. She reported than this issue never occurred for her. This issue began to appear after I restored/factory reset the phone for the first time.

It is particularly frustrating, as many other devices connect to the WiFi from the exact same spots that the iPhone 5 doesn't, while the iPhone has the bars but just doesn't connect to the internet. These devices include 2 iPad 2's, Moto G, iPhone 6s, printer and even an IPHONE 4S.

I am on iOS 9.1, and therefore have been lead to believe that it may be an iOS 9.1 issue.

I have done all the following to no avail:

- RESET NETWORK SETTINGS
- RESET ROUTER SETTINGS
- HARD RESET IPHONE (SLEEP/WAKE + HOME)
- RESET ALL SETTINGS ON IPHONE (FACTORY RESET)
- TRIED DIFFERENT DNS SETTINGS (E.G. 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)
- TURNED OFF ROUTER FOR 30 SECS
- TURNED OFF WIFI NETWORKING
- TURNED OFF WIFI ASSIST

I've tried almost everything! It's frustrating as sometimes I have the bars but no internet connection, but most importantly, in some points I don't connect to the WiFi at all while an iPhone 4S, right next to me does.

And my sister never reported these issues?

Is it a hardware issue? Should I take it to my local phone repair shop?

Many thanks for reading and I look forward to getting a reply.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I might ask you is, do you have a large or obstructive case on your device as some do block the signals

Other than that I would say make an appointment

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Is there any large metal something between the router and the rooms you go to? A large fridge? Metal can mess with the signal. Also, you may need a new modem/router.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's probably an issue with the phone itself, considering everything else connects without an issue.